Any experience of Volvo V70 2.4 - Final update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark

I'm seriously considering a Hyundai Santa-Fe (7 seat version) at the moment to replace the Mondeo (should be good to tow the caravan). One of my work colleagues (sp??) has one and he's very impressed with it, his is a couple of years old but tells me that the new version is even better.

You can pick up a new Santa-fe for about £21K, so a fairly new second hand model should be under the £19K you're looking to spend.

Cheers

Aled

Hello all,
I had a 240dl estate, it was rubbish I had it for 12 months

Then got a 240 GL, it was ace we had it for 13 tes 13 years, wish I still had it.

Then got the XC70 cross country, had that 4 years so far, boot space not as big as the 240, but it still manages trips to and from the wood yards, with all the seats down, it is a workhorse.

VOLVO FOREVER

GT

BradNaylor":2faf3e6l said:
A Volvo estate?

Welcome to middle age, Mark!

(homer)

Nah, that's not what happens in my experience. When you are really middle aged (or well past it in my case) you abandon the Volvo estate for a Golf. Anyway, they stopped making PROPER Volvos after the 740 :(

I had a V40, one of the best things is the way the front seat folded. Slide it back, release a couple of levers on the back and fold forward, slide seat forward, under the glove box. This gives the longest load space for stacking boards in. :D
I also had a Cmax, while the rear seats look very flexible with the fold, flip and remove options. I found them a problem as I could not get big stuff in with the seats in place, I tried to plan leaving the seats at home if I was going to pick stuff up.

DaveL":3k854jsg said:
I had a V40, one of the best things is the way the front seat folded. Slide it back, release a couple of levers on the back and fold forward, slide seat forward, under the glove box. This gives the longest load space for stacking boards in. :D
I also had a Cmax, while the rear seats look very flexible with the fold, flip and remove options. I found them a problem as I could not get big stuff in with the seats in place, I tried to plan leaving the seats at home if I was going to pick stuff up.

yeah the only problem with my focus is because i'm quite a tall chap the seat wont go flat behind the drivers seat - however its a spilt back seat and ther 2/3 is on the otherside and does go flat so its not that big a problem

(though to be honest i dont often drop the seats because i'm normally carrying the dog, and i have access to the work navara pick up -shortly being swapped for a ford ranger - for trips to the timber yard etc )

My all time favourite family wagon is the Previa. Almost bought one about a week ago but couldn't really justify it... Ticks all the boxes for practicality (except, maybe, parking - but then it's no bigger than a family car).

The other one that is very high on the list is the Mazda 6. Reliable and the estate looks good too. The only thing I don't like is that it's one of those cars that is so pretty is almost demands to be kept clean. I don't clean cars.

cambournepete":aeq9gyhq said:
RogerS":aeq9gyhq said:
What about a Subaru Forester estate?
You ever tried one Roger?
I was amazed when I sat in one that the wheel is offset a long way to the left of the driving seat - it felt like an awful driving position.

Sounds almost as if the passenger could reach over and share the driving? :lol:

I've got a 55 plate vectra estate (1.9cdti 120bhp version)

Been good up till now, paid 6k with 65k on it, just replaced a wheel bearing on it (250 inc hub).

Massive loadspace (rear seats fold away very quickly without any hassle and 2m length of space up to the drivers rear seats.

I can fit 3m long timbers up to the windscreen if I'm in need.

Not a badge snobs dream but a comfortable car, I went for the SRI version so the suspension is probably too hard and low for most.

After mulling this around, then finally falling out with the Volvo dealership over them not even bothering to call me back when they had promised to we finally went to have a look around the local VW garage.

The missus bought her Tourag from them 18 months ago so they sent her an invite to a very special 'secret' sale where the manager had a special book containing the prices they would sell each vehicle for.

After about an hours worth of chewing the fat with the salesman (who is the only car salesman I have ever spoken with who I didn't immediately detest!), I test drove the new Tiguan and a Passat Estate.

Hated the Tiguan but really liked the Passat. It was the Highline model and had a bit of poke at 160bhp, nice leather interior and some toys. Decent MPG too.

Sat down with him and discussed numbers, even though I had no intention of spanking £20k on a car we thought we would play along for a little while. He went to the manager and came back with a price of £20,500, which was £3k off list.

I said no and he did all the usual of asking me what that number would have to be to get a handshake from me there and then. I told him it would have to be nearer to £17k, at which he laughed and said I had no chance, I was already getting the best discount of the day :roll:

I said that was fine and we were off to do some shopping. He asked me about what extras I would want so I said integrated BlueTooth car kit, parking sensors and a couple of other bits, which he said if he could get those would I shake his hand. I told him it would be a starting point :lol:

Long story of to-ing and fro-ing and we decided to not bother so he asked us to wait a minute while the manager gave us an 'exit interview' to make sure we were happy with the service.

He came back 5 mins later saying I was the hardest customer he had ever had (I wasn't even negotiating, I just didn't want to pay the money) and if I shook his hand there and then he would do me the car for the wholesale price (ie what he buys in at, I knew what this was as I checked it out on the iPhone while waiting for him :D), pay my road tax, give me the GAP insurance, throw in parking sensors and BlueTooth, on a 10 plate.

He said he was two cars away from his quota to get 10% off his bulk buy for the next quarter and needed the registrations so it was an offer for that afternoon only. B0ll0cks probably but that is how they work so you never know.

At this point me and the missus were looking at each other and asked for a few minutes to think. We totted it all up and worked out we would get a package totalling £25,900 for £18,950, and that effectively is what the car is worth at 3 years old so we would have knocked off the depreciation before even paying for it, so I bit his hand off :D

Wasn't planning on spending that but it was such a good deal that I convinced myself, and I must say it is a very nice motor indeed. Here's what it looks like, this isn't my exact one but same color, style etc.

vw_passat_est_500-333.jpg

wizer":33uugqag said:
Tough time Mark :roll: :wink:
Haha. The missus paid cash for it, I've now got to pay her back. I'm in hock up to my eyeballs matey...

I was due a new toy, my old one I have had for over 10 years and is past its best. Still runs fine apart from it needs a new throttle sensor as it kangaroo's every now and then. I bought one but haven't been bothered fitting it yet.

Rover 25, W reg going for £300 if anyone interested. :D

good one Mark

I hate all this pratting about when you want to buy something.
there is a price & then another price - why isn't anyone honest?

The SWMBO had seen a bit of furniture on John Lewis internet at £850
another dealer in our town had exacly the same so we thought we would help the local man & save the effort of traveling to JL to view.

We went in & got all the usual sales stuff:
so how much? "Thats £1050 & £145 delivery madam"
So she says well JL are selling same thing for £850 plus free delivery.
The bloke immediately said he could match that.

I told him to shove it & had he offered a sensible price at first he would have had the sale.

If he was making a reasonable profit on the £850 then he must have been trying to con us out of £295

My missus hates it when I don't haggle. Mainly because she doesn't have the balls to do it. I have to be in the right mood. ;) I've haggled on all the cars we've had tho and always come away feeling chufty. Whether we could have got a better deal is another matter. But I'd never pay top banana on any large purchase.

wizer":3q7jq7tf said:
I have to be in the right mood. ;)
Me too. Sometimes I'm in there like a dog with a bone and other times I just don't have it in me and I either pay the money or walk away. Same as you though, after seeing my brother in law haggle his way to money off almost everything he buys I will never pay full whack again, well, unless I really want it and they're not budging ;)

Last summer when my 7 year old car was in for a service and MOT, just out of interest, I enquired about its value - "depends on what you intend to buy sir".
I gave him a list of wants - "we have the very thing you want in our showroom sir".
Sat in it, fell in love with it, haggled a bit and picked it up 3 days later!

Perhaps I'm too easy? :)

Rod

TrimTheKing":3ez5drcs said:
...after seeing my brother in law haggle his way to money off almost everything he buys I will never pay full whack again, well, unless I really want it and they're not budging ;)

Admittedly I'll try it on everywhere apart from Tesco, etc. and the Petrol stations. :lol:

You don't ask - you don't get - that's my motto when it comes to purchases.

TrimTheKing":1h7c2dbx said:
The missus paid cash for it

I love it how you slip little snippets in like this like it's the most normal thing in the world.

My missus doesn't even pay the bloody milkman! She always manages to engineer a late shift for herself on a Friday evening when he calls for his money.

I'm sick of hiding behind the sofa pretending there's no-one in!

Back