Any experience of Volvo V70 2.4 - Final update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrimTheKing

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm after a new motor so I can get child seats in when #2 arrives and am quite taken on the idea of a big Volvo estate :oops: Might as well get something big to make trips to the timber yard easier ;)

Am taking a test drive in the V70 later but just wondered if anyone has any good or bad experiences they can share of them?

Looking at an 09 plater, ex fleet, 16k on clock for £19k. Based on my t'interweb investigations this looks like a reasonably good deal, anybody add any thoughts?

Spent yesterday touring various car shops checking out the Audi A6 Avant (slightly better than a mondeo estate), Audi A4 Avant (not quite as good as the A6), Volvo V50 (Modeo estate with a different badge. Sport Wagon rather than true estate) and the Skoda estate (seems okay but cheaper looking spec inside than Audi & Volvo). This leaves me with the Volvo V70 unless anyone else can point me in the direction of something good that I've not checked out?

Merc and Beemer are also good, prolly better, but can't touch this price range for the same age so that's out.

Cheers

Mark

I drive a ford focus estate - 1.8 TDCI - i find it to be comfortable, fast (except when loaded to the top with timber), and relatively fuel efficient (arround 45-50 mpg on the motorway)

it also has plenty of load capacity as i demonstrated when i got the whole of eds/now mine 419 in the boot without also needing to use the back seats (which was just as well as these were occupied by a collie dog).

these are common rep vehicles so lots are available second hand

the other option i'd suggest would be a ford ranger truck with crew cab - these are also comfortable and fast and have oodles of load space (plus 4wd for when you decide to go woodforaging) plus a decent amount of passenger space easily enough for 4 adults in comfort - they start at £14k new ex vat
the only downsides are that they arent that fuel efficient ( probably about 25-30mpg on the 2.5 TDI) and they have are both wide and have a large turning circle which makes negotiating urban roads a bit tricky (paricularly if swimbo is driving ;) ) and means they arent ideal if parking is limited.

Mark,

Another Ford driver/owner here, I've got a 04 Mondeo 2ltr TDCI estate it's the 130bhp version. Driving sensibly on the motorway I get about 50-55ish and about 38ish around town. Room in the back is very good, with seats folded I can get a 6'x3' board in quite easily and shut the boot lid, same as with BSM's Focus there's a lot around being ex rep vehicles, bought mine about 2yrs ago with full service history have been really pleased with it and will definitely be replacing it with another in the next few years.

Steve

Edit: Forgot to add the tax and insurance aren't too bad either and I insure mine for business use.

I drive a Volvo T5 estate, an old one and am not as impressed with it as the earlier 7 & 9 series. The later Volvos are smaller in length and have less luggage space around 6" difference to the old 7 series! As for the latest models from Volvo I am not impressed, they even have a larger turning circle! I won't be buying a later Volvo that is for sure. I am actually in two minds wheather to 'downgrade' to another 900 series. :?

I have a V70, last of the older style 2000 year model 170bhp. I've had it 10 years and it's done 38K faults have been headlamp flasher relay £80 and primary oxygen sensor that is a Denso electronic management (they changed from bosch so Volvo wanted £250 for a replacement (bosch about £25) I bought from the states £100.
Apart from that I cannot racall a problem. I have since then test driven Audi A4, Bmw 3 series, Merc and none of them are a patch on it. every time I get back in I love it. Quiet efficient air con all the others were noisy or didn't work quite right. It's extremely comfortable, Ok not overly sporty but I can't see the point of riding in a skateboard style on some of these modern cars. The newer versions turning circle is nowhere near as tight as mine and mine will turn tighter than a lot of smaller cars. I don't know why as it's the same engine unit and presumably drive system. They always wear the nearside tyre edge more than any other tyre. I had a 740 previously too and yes it's bigger.
EDIT: Just got back from B&Q with 15 4x2 4.8 metre lengths on the roof. Suspension down a bit but I don't think any other car has roof bars that will take the strain. The V50 I can bend by pulling, no middle support. I've had half a roofs worth of tiles in it and 15 sheets of plasterboard on it (not at the same time)
EDIT again have a look at this maybe there's some left. http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/547223/v ... t-?page=11
Hmm looks like it was too popular http://www.drivethedeal.com/buy-a-new-c ... index.html
Alan

Volvos are popular amongst members here, I've noticed. I like their 4x4. But the estate is just too big (long) for someone who's used to driving a roller skate.

i have the v70 2.0d (same engine as in the new mondeo )on a 09 plate and have found it to be very comfortable and relatively economical with enough power also.
however my dad has the v70 d5 much more power and also more economical. :lol:
we have both had one problem though - tyres are very expensive and it took one of the big tyre people kwik fit / national tyres etc 4 days to get me a replacement tyre. :shock:
great cars though.

ps the v50 is built on the focus c-max chassis
previously had a c-max 1.8 tdci - 55mpg average :D

I used to be a loyal Volvo estate fan having had two 740's, two 940's and and a 960 all from new and kept for about 3 years each. They were great but the depreciation cost just kept getting more and more. I then had a Vauxhall Omega estate which was a disaster with time in the garage and depreciation. Subsequently had a Rover 75 estate, just before the collapse. That got me entitlement to attend the Rover agents Christmas Party. I was there more than some of the staff! That was followed by a VW Passat - excellent. Now retired and doing a lot less miles I have a Mercedes C180K estate just coming up to 5 years old - excellent - not a single repair (other that wearing parts) to date. Not as roomy as the Volvos though.
The Volvo you are looking at has had it's initial depreciation hit so is probably good value for money. Check the back seat width though. I don't think it will be wide enough if number three comes along!

Richard

I like the Volvos - but have to stick with VAG cars. Have an A4 Avant - 2 kids, stuff and Wifey, no issues what so ever. Not to mention north of 700 per tank on runs.

That and having trade accounts for VAG means I pay about 1/2 what you'd pay for on service (and other) parts. She dries a Skoda - but I prefer the Audi's.

The new A6 estate - 3.2 quattro (S-line) would defintely have ones of those over the Volvo. But cars are an odd thing (bit like birds) to each their own. :wink:

Have you considered a people carrier? Before you switch off completely, I was completely anti people carriers before I actually drove one, but you'll get a hell of a lot of people carrier for £19K.

The load space in my Zafira is acually bigger than a Mondeo Estate and so far has taken everything that we've thrown at it - 2 kids and wife etc. We're both over 6' and find that there's loads of room in the front andrear seats. The big bonus is that you can convert it to a 7 seater in minutes which has been handy to take people home from the pub etc. Mine is the 1.6 model so it's pretty damn slow, but other engines perform far better.

http://www.buyacar.co.uk list a brand new (registered as second user to avoid the VAT) Zafira 1.8SRi for just over £17K

I drive a Mazda 5 people carrier and it's a really good drive with plenty of room and reasonable economy.
If you want more room the Ford S-Max is a bit bigger and also a good drive.

When we bought the Mazda I really liked the feel of the Mazda 6 - it just feels right to me - so you might like to try that. SWMBO preferred the 5, so we got that.

Hi

I've got an Audi A6 Avant -3.0 TDi auto. Great car for the 2 of us and the Westie. Not a huge family car or a load lugger!

A bit off the wall from the Mondeo/Volvo estate options - how about a Saab 9.5 tdi Estate. I had one before the Audi. Huge loadd carrier, v comfortable and 40+ mpg, and pretty nippy for the size of car.

hanser":2gawip6w said:
Hi

I've got an Audi A6 Avant -3.0 TDi auto. Great car for the 2 of us and the Westie. Not a huge family car or a load lugger!

Eh? I've driven a few A6 estates and that scene out a film with Robert De Niro springs to mind, where as a mobster he's trying to be a used car salesmen and he's trying to sell a couple a car - opens the boot and says something along the lines of "look at that trunk - you could fit a few bodies in there!". Obviously no sale in that case. :wink:

I'd class an A6 estate as a massive load carrier.

Racers":fug25exx said:
Hi,

How about the Alfa 159 sportwagon crackinf looking car
http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/20 ... n_2_lg.jpg
I have a 159 my self its a dam good car.

Pete

Alfa - nice looking cars, but ooh so poorly put together sometimes. I recall driving behind one a few yrs ago - the car was less than 2 yrs old and the rear exhaust looked like it was 20 yrs old and about to collapse. Mind you things may have changed in the last few yrs or so.

Hi,

Tell me about it! this one is so much better than our last one, it feel so solid and hasn't missed a beat.

Pete

I tested a v 70 last year and finished up buying a ford galaxy tdi more space and really economical no problem with kiddy seats or timber
scotland and back one tank full 800 miles

Latest posts

Back