Any double bevel marquetry experts on here?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workshop Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm about to attempt my first proper double bevel marquetry project - it's a memory box for my future wife for her wedding present (no pressure!). I tried a sample piece the other day and it came out surprisingly good in places but I still have a couple of questions if I may.

The design is of a flowering dogwood branch and when assembling the packets into the field the other day, I placed the inlay piece on top of the field and cut round it and inserted it. I have since watched a few you tube videos more closely and they say to work from the back instead f the front as I did. Now that's fine as the technique is the same however what stops the front chipping out when your cutting? Is it worth backing the packets with thin ply/mdf or such?

Also any tips for cutting into really tight corners and not rounding them too much? I'm using a hand fretsaw a with a very fine blade as I found my scroll saw too aggressive.

Many thanks and happy Xmas

Bob

When doing saw cut marquetry I use fine jewellers saw blades about .15mm thick and sandwich the pack betweewn 1.5 mm birch ply.

Chris

I haven't tried what you're doing Bob but have completed a fair number of marquetry pictures from scratch and always used the "window" method working the pattern in reverse using sellotape to secure the pieces. All my work was done with surgical scalpels, cuts at a very slight angle so the pieces were tight fit at the face. A lot easier to do than describe.

Bob

Latest posts

Back