Another workshop query!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetochat

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to do some workshop modifications. The final dimensions will be 6mx4m with a pitched roof. The external skin will be 15mm (finished size) planned shiplap with an internal skin of 12mm Ply. I was going to use 75x50mm studding, but it is not pressure treated as standard for housebuilding, will this be a problem? I also am going to use the Tommy Walsh method for the roof of a central ridge board with rafters from wall plate to ridge board. I want to keep as much height as possible, how high can the tie be above the wall plate, or can I dispense with it all together?

Thanks

John

Do you mean the cross tie between rafters? If so anywhere in the lower two thirds. Any position above the top third is dramatically less effective.

With that span you definitely can't dispense with them

Cheers

Tim

Sorry to disagree Tim but a shed :wink: :wink: of those dimensions can be built without cross members.

The summer house I built for a friend has a 20ft span 16ft long with a cathedral type roof lined with t&g.

Build the ends and sides out of 3x2 and fix the plywood to the inside or outside depending on choice. String line the sides to get straight and fix supports at angle to keep solid. Fix roof trusses at min 2ft centres and use plywood to form the roof, use silicone between each sheet to prevent any drips if felt rips etc. This then makes the whole structure solid with the plywood roof preventing the sides bowing.

Unable to show pictures at present as wanadoo now being orange I have lost my web storage facility.

Les

les chicken":2mj51rk4 said:
...snip... use silicone between each sheet to prevent any drips if felt rips etc. ......snip...Les

Caution with letting bitumen based products (felts and flashings) and silicone sealants coming into contact with each other.

Silicone sealants can soften (melt) bitumen based felts, some none reinforced products like flashbands carry a warning about this.

les chicken":8w4z7edm said:
Unable to show pictures at present as wanadoo now being orange I have lost my web storage facility.

Google is your friend, :D free web storage here, you just need a Google account, if you don't have one then PM me your email address and I will send you one Les.

Back