(Another) Workbench Build!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Long time reader here, but not posted any projects before!

I am pretty new to woodworking, and eventually plan to set up a very small workshop in a garden shed which is due to go up this summer, however for now I needed a workbench to work on for odd jobs/projects.

I have a very small outbuilding in the garden at the moment which is used as a bit of a dumping ground for garden stuff, and I built the bench to fit in there, and also be suitable size to move once I get the shed set up.

I used all reclaimed wood for this and the only thing I needed to buy was the coach bolts, washers and the auger bit for the holes! £22.82 for the lot (also leaving me with 17 spare coach bolts!)

I was given a 1220x670x30mm piece of MDF and decided that it would be a suitable size for the top as it was so I went with those measurements! I then used 2x4's for the main framework/legs and some 2x2s for the bottom framework to support the bottom shelf which was made out of a scrap piece of 18mm MDF I had in storage. The total height is 930mm.

I think I may have slightly overdone it with the wood used, but I wanted it to be solid and it certainly is! :D

Here are a few photos:

Piece cut for the frame:
Photo%2030-01-2015%2019%2006%2002%20Large.jpg

Legs cut and in place:
Photo%2001-02-2015%2012%2032%2012%20Large.jpg

Bolts in and frame screwed together:
Photo%2001-02-2015%2014%2053%2033%20Large.jpg

Bottom shelf support fitted:
Photo%2001-02-2015%2016%2046%2047%20Large.jpg

Shelf cut and fitted, finished!
Photo%2001-02-2015%2018%2047%2008%20Large.jpg

I will probably need to remove the shelf and supports when I need to move it out of the room, but that's not a problem.

I also plan to put an edging all the way around the MDF top so that its a bit more protected. Also need to fit a vise!

Really pleased with how it turned out, I know its a relatively simple project but has been the first 'big' thing I have made alone. :D

Comments and criticisms welcome! :D

I also made my own workbench, I wish I had done WIP pics, it cost a bit more than yours to make but it's bigger and has two vices.
If I were you I would make a Moxon vice which could be clamped to the overhang on your bench, google moxon vice for the design and there are lots of videos on YouTube.

HTH

Baldhead

I like it.

As a similar beginner, I too have a bench to build but other projects are taking priority and can be completed using my workmate and dining table!

Only observation I'd make is I wonder whether it would have been better to have offset the two bolt holes (per leg) so that you didn't have a straight line (with each other and the wood grain) of weakened timber.

Baldhead":3hfpmzlw said:
I also made my own workbench, I wish I had done WIP pics, it cost a bit more than yours to make but it's bigger and has two vices.
If I were you I would make a Moxon vice which could be clamped to the overhang on your bench, google moxon vice for the design and there are lots of videos on YouTube.

HTH

Baldhead

Thanks, that looks like a great idea as it would take up less space on this small bench. I was thinking of putting a small top fitting vice on, but the moxon could be the way to go!

Mike.S":z5utc29a said:
I like it.

As a similar beginner, I too have a bench to build but other projects are taking priority and can be completed using my workmate and dining table!

Only observation I'd make is I wonder whether it would have been better to have offset the two bolt holes (per leg) so that you didn't have a straight line (with each other and the wood grain) of weakened timber.

That's a good point, and I did actually think about that after. I reckon it should be ok, I would probably be more worried if it was a larger size but it doesn't feel like its going to budge at the moment!

Thanks for the replies. :D

Looks great. Always nice to use reclaimed wood and keep the costs down.

Do you have (or need) any provision for levelling the bench if the floor's uneven?

Also, is that the Ryobi impact driver? If so, how do you find it? I'm considering getting it as I have a £75 B&Q voucher...

Solid looking bench :D

How the hell do some of you guys get away with working in the house :shock: My lady wood kill me :lol:

n0legs":spj1vzqv said:

How the hell do some of you guys get away with working in the house :shock: My lady wood kill me :lol:

HAHA! It didn't go down that well, but I told her that once it was made I would have something to work on! :mrgreen:

Philbo":2s4bi1xo said:
n0legs":2s4bi1xo said:

HAHA! It didn't go down that well, but I told her that once it was made I would have something to work on! :mrgreen:

You have a good one there my friend :wink:

I made a Moxon for my workbench and really don't know why I didn't do it sooner, it is very flexible which is important since it's my only vise.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/another-moxon-vice-build-t83408.html

May be worth drilling a pattern of 19mm holes in the top to allow the use of dogs (I made mine from dowel with a flat face sawn at the end) to help clamping stuff, I also added a Veritas Wonder Pup for holding boards flat on top.

Willy":15t2gcyo said:
Looks great. Always nice to use reclaimed wood and keep the costs down.

Do you have (or need) any provision for levelling the bench if the floor's uneven?

Also, is that the Ryobi impact driver? If so, how do you find it? I'm considering getting it as I have a £75 B&Q voucher...

Hi Willy, apologies for the late reply!

Yes, its the Ryobi impact driver (I also have the combi drill). I have only had it a month or two but I absolutely love it. having not owned one before I can honestly say that I wouldn't do without an impact driver now.

For the price compared to other brands, it's very solidly built and has plenty of power, feels like a quality product and would thoroughly recommend!

Mine came with one of the small 1.3Ah batteries, a soft case (which also fits my drill in there) and a charger (this is not the super charger though, so charging is slower). I am looking to pick up another battery or two as I plan to expand on the one+ system later on which will save me swapping over!

With regards to levelling, I don't have anything at the moment (or need it as the floor is level) but as I eventually intend to move the bench I might look into some of the small adjustable feet that you can buy.

Cheers! :D

turnamere":3q8f8lxq said:
I made a Moxon for my workbench and really don't know why I didn't do it sooner, it is very flexible which is important since it's my only vise.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/another-moxon-vice-build-t83408.html

May be worth drilling a pattern of 19mm holes in the top to allow the use of dogs (I made mine from dowel with a flat face sawn at the end) to help clamping stuff, I also added a Veritas Wonder Pup for holding boards flat on top.

Hi, thanks for the reply and link to your post, what a great vise! .very useful.

Unfortunately, I cant seem to find the supplier that you mentioned for your hardware kit. I have had a look around and they all seem quite pricey (I am on a budget at the mo as saving for the shed/workshop I plan to get in the summer!)

It's something I will definitely do though, looks like the perfect solution for a bench as small as mine.

The dogs idea did cross my mind as well and again looks very useful.

For now I have a set of Bench cookies (http://www.benchdog.com/bench-cookie.cfm which work very well for gripping pieces down when sanding etc.

Latest posts

Back