another which lathe question??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xc-mtbr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Complete newbie here to round woodworking but keen to get into it. Now looking at my first lathe purchase and need some help. I'm looking at the
Record dml36sh
axminster AWVSL900
these are in my price range but im open to suggestions. I spoke to a pro who teaches and demonstrates etc etc who said not tot to bother and buy an old second hand one as they are better, i know this to be true of various tools such as the old elu stuff but have no knowledge of lathes or what to look for if i did buy an old one (ebay etc)
So i think for ease a new off the shelf might be my better option?
So thats it any help would be amazing and suggestions for £200 - 300 budget.
Kind regards Tony

If I were you I would have a look in the Forsale section of the forum, theres an Axy model up for grabs, I had the perform (Cheaper)smaller cousin of the that one for a couple of years and you could do worse for a starter. Mine did me proud until I'd learnt enough about turning and the finer points about lathes to make a sensible upgrade for me.

I have been turning only for a few months, so not much further along than you.

Initially I wanted to get a Jet 1442 or a record CL3 or if I found one second hand a CL4. In the end I listened to some of the wiser people in this forum and found an Axminster M900 on ebay for £150. It came with 2 chucks, a couple of rings, 2 screw chucks and a few other bits and pieces. It had everything I needed to get started except some tools and some blanks.

It took me a few weeks to find, and I have only just turned my first piece where something more meaty or having it bolted to the floor would have helped.

I would agree with the advice you have had of looking down the second hand route. What I thought I wanted to end up doing is now completely different from what I enjoy turning. I am glad I bought a second hand entry level lathe and I know in a year or two I will sell it and upgrade to something more specific to what I want to be turning. I also have no doubt that it will be completely different to what I enjoy today as my skills develop.

Something like the M900 is variable speed, has a sealed bearing so maintenance is lmited and having a less powerful motor is more likely to stop than cause significant damage or injury as you learn.

well i can't thank you guys enough i've purchased the lathe advertised in the thread above. I tihnk it is an exceptional offer especially with the upgraded centres. Fetching it at the end of the month so enough time to look at the rest of the tools required :D
I have also joined my local wood turning club and first meeting is Tuesday so im a bit nervous but non the less excited. Once again thank you for your opions and puitting me onto a sale of which i am extremely pleased.

Where in the country are you XC? If you update your profile to show this you might find people local to you on this forum which could be helpful to you :)

Miles

Back