another tote

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcW

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I finished my spruce tool box today and wanted to share. It's not fancy maybe just the carry pole. It's made of oak and should carry my tools to the woods. Five boards construction dovetailed and some miter joints at the edges to have the profile run around the four corners, respectively the bottom fit in a groove. First mistake I used a brush to spread the glue. The tin colored the dovetails so one could take the glue for sheds. :cry:
The carry pole is actually two battens bent in two directions. First like this:
unlidded-tote-6.jpg

And then bent horizontally right and left of the staves such as seen here:

unlidded-tote-4.jpg

That's an issue, because the upper twists against the one below, well shown in the pic. Well next time I will cut the handle on the vertical and not like this horizontally anymore. Wanted to look for something new but didn't succeed well :oops:

The wedged dowels appeal much I think. Never tried this before.

unlidded-tote-1.jpg

The handle sits an a 20 mm wedged dowel and can be slid to one side merely. The compartments can be pulled out and in as need is. They are as large to carry a jointer too.

unlidded-tote-2.jpg

A view of the whole:
unlidded-tote-3.jpg

...and one that shows the handle a little better
unlidded-tote-5.jpg

Thanks for looking and any thought about,
Marc

PS: I don't know how I get these thumbnails. I'd be glad if someone could point me to it. Must be a black point on my screen. :lol:

Marc,

Nice looking tote. :D I think I would want the saw in teeth down or to put a guard strip on it, as I would be slicing my knuckles on it. ](*,)

For you question on the thumbnails, take a look here its some way down Adams post.

Dave,

Thanks for the link to Adam's great post. It's right the stuff to read on early sunday morning :lol:

Regards, Marc

Ooo, that's nice; I love the looks of the handle. =D> Is much room there to shift your grip fore and aft to balance the loaded tote though? Basic pole handles are boring as hell, but they do have that advantage. Definitely a tote worthy of Mike's saw. :D Any chance of a few essential dimensions? I'm always on the scrounge for what other's have found to be comfortable, ready for that elusive Tuit. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Nice - and,yes,the wedged dowels do appeal :D
They add to the overall look of the piece.

Andrew

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your kind words! 8)

Dimensions are 71cm long by 24 wide by 18 high. Boards are 14 mm thick.

It feels comfortable, not too heavy. Next time I will make the bottom outta plywood, not commercial glued panel (was scrap) anymore. It will lower the weight considerably.

Mike's saw will have a wooden saw guard as soon as possible, but I have to make these stilts for my niece and my nephew first. Lots of sawing at the moment. :lol:

I can grip the pole within a range of nearby 18 cm. The dowels are a good grip reference.

Regards, Marc

Very nice ! I have a tool box like that but a very basic one made from ply . It was my apprentice piece and i still use it but i think its time i made a new one after seeing that :D

Looks great, although I have a question, why are the pins and tails that way round? I'd have switched the position of the tales, and pins to the opposite faces.

Adam":mcfqy3bg said:
Looks great, although I have a question, why are the pins and tails that way round? I'd have switched the position of the tales, and pins to the opposite faces.

Hi Adam,

Indeed I thought it wasn't that much relevant in this construction but I decided to do so because in some way the carry pole holds together front and end and the dovetails prevent the sides to fall apart. It's more an abstract reflexion, the dovetail joint is a strong joint. Unlike on a drawer there are no forces from aside, so I considered to be not bound to physics.

Why would you have switched tales and pins?

Regards, Marc

I like it Marc. Very creative and a nice take on the basic tool tote. I think it is rather successful even if there are things you'd like to change -- that happens with any innovation.

Very nice work, =D>

But that must weigh a ton with all those tools in it :cry: . were a pair of wheels (in oak ofcourse) not a better option :)

Latest posts

Back