Another tissue box session

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Prepared another two boards, Maple & American black walnut as per picture should have been enough for ten tissue boxes but.............................

1.jpg

But all is not as it should be.

2w.jpg

That maple would only cut one direction at the bandsaw, it would drift off sawblade if attempted opposite end. Even putting through the P/T could only be done with many sleight cuts, but there is one piece that has an interesting grain and discolouration.

4w.jpg

Anyway tied the stuff down on the tablesaw with some weights for the day, that should keep it quiet.

3w.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,485
  • 2w.jpg
    2w.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,485
  • 4w.jpg
    4w.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,485
  • 3w.jpg
    3w.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,485
I need to make a deeper holding tissue box for a forum friend and prepared this arrangement of abw and american ash. Because of the timber problems mentioned it was eventually got under control but its thickness has been reduced to under 8mm thick.

8w.jpg

Work started on those maple boards as well and above mentioned box carcass built up but will need splines if it is to survive its long distance destination I fear.

7w.jpg

Attachments

• 8w.jpg
    8w.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,396
  • 7w.jpg
    7w.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,396
Got out the jig which I use for cutting the spline slots on the tissue box carcass. I hope the photograph is self explanatory.

10w.jpg

The slots were cut and contrasting splines have been tapped and glue place with some ash into the abw sections.

12w.jpg

There are now seven box carcasses ready for further work, tops will be varied because six are going to our local surgery as gifts and that will possibly make them more individual.

13w.jpg

With reference to cutting and resawing on the bandsaw here is a picture of an offcut resawn from a piece of ash (under 2mm thick) you can see that the bandsaw is cutting accurately and to me it means that the maple (mentioned earlier in thread) that only cuts in one direction is most probably a rogue bit of timber so sometimes drift on a bandsaw might not be a poor setup but timber which is playing up.

11w.jpg

Attachments

• 10w.jpg
    10w.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,348
  • 12w.jpg
    12w.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,348
  • 13w.jpg
    13w.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,348
  • 11w.jpg
    11w.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,348
Cleaned up the splines and did some roundover to edges and sanded with 80 & 120 grits.
Found a piece of ash and abw to make the top, but the lady at home wants a shopping expedition, transportation and dinner prepared as well today so progress delayed.

15w.jpg

Oh and I have got some more boards prepared to complete other boxes.

16w.jpg

Attachments

• 15w.jpg
    15w.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,260
  • 16w.jpg
    16w.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,260
As mentioned above, the lady had me tied down yesterday, so all I managed was to cut and fit splines to six boxes.

17w.jpg

18w.jpg

So I have got a sanding session due when there is some dry weather around, (dont sand in shed any longer, it makes it too dusty) however I can get going on some tops.

Attachments

• 17w.jpg
    17w.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,208
  • 18w.jpg
    18w.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,208
To be honest it was difficult to get some motivation with the weather we had yesterday, even got wet getting to the toolshed and that was only eight feet away.

However I did make up six tops over two sessions, one lot of tops of abw to fit the maple carcasses and three others of maple for the abw boxes.

19w.jpg

20w.jpg

For the past three years I have created around one hundred pairs of these cutouts and they go into the waste bin, we do not burn timber here and I cannot think of some way to use up this wastage, any ideas?

21w.jpg

Attachments

• 19w.jpg
    19w.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,169
  • 20w.jpg
    20w.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,169
  • 21w.jpg
    21w.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,169
devonwoody":1udq20az said:
For the past three years I have created around one hundred pairs of these cutouts and they go into the waste bin, we do not burn timber here and I cannot think of some way to use up this wastage, any ideas?

Maybe start making book-ends as well? ;-)

If you laminated a few together you could probably bandsaw a decent doorstop profile out of them.

If you have a scrollsaw, you could cut decorative holes in the sides of your tissue boxes and use the old offcuts to inlay with a contrasting timber. Or simply cut the offcuts into interlocking pieces to make puzzles larger than any of the offcuts (although I suspect that works best with plywood).

If you know anyone who does small handicrafts they may possibly be able to make use of them.

You could cut 3mm slices off the bottom of all of them and laminate them together to make small stripy boards for the ends of new tissue boxes?

Bandsaw another half-oval out of the middle and sell them online as artisanal drawer handles?

Thanks above for all those suggestions, I have been thinking of handles for the boxes, so its back to the waste bin and retrieve those bits.
Having cut those pieces out by hand with a jig saw the rounded portions are not easy pieces to cope with.

Perhaps some abstract patterns with laminations sounds interesting.

Did put in a couple of hours in the afternoon and did some sanding and preparing tops for most of the boxes.

22w.jpg

Attachments

• 22w.jpg
    22w.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,109
Looking good dw ;-) have you considered also making boxes for latex gloves ? My mates a mechanic and I made a rough mdf one for his van- he reckons he's had several people commenting about it.

re: offcuts...

offer them as cabinet/cupboard handles. Finish them off ready to be mounted onto a set of cupboard doors and put them on ebay.

send some to me and I'll make you a pen

ColeyS1":u45eryf3 said:
Looking good dw ;-) have you considered also making boxes for latex gloves ? My mates a mechanic and I made a rough mdf one for his van- he reckons he's had several people commenting about it.

Thanks for your suggestion and ideas.

Seven boxes now had their final glue fix! This leaves the box sliders to make and then a finish applied, going to use just shellac this time.
Pictures taken in conservatory because the heat was up to 97far. in there but only 60far. outside or in workshop and that means the glue sets enough for me within three hours.

23w.jpg

24w.jpg

Attachments

• 23w.jpg
    23w.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,028
  • 24w.jpg
    24w.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,028
Love your work DW, its a good thing there are a lot of people around with runny noses!

More progress on this set of boxes, they have now all been sanded and sanding sealer coated, ( I was going to finish with shallac but found I had an unopened bottle of sealer) and just await a wax polish finish.

The item marked with an arrow is destined to an Australian forum member in Perth who kindly got me a spare (redundant) respirator motor for my Triton. The remaining six are going down to our local medical centre in Preston, Paignton.

Getting the urge to start a new set. :wink:

25w.jpg

Attachments

• 25w.jpg
    25w.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 333
Back