another sash window question - pricing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexteria

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been asked to make a couple of large vertical sliding box sash windows - 7'9" * 3'9". These are to have low E DG, a single glazing bar on each upper and lower sash and to be finished in white gloss. Since taking on jobs on my own I'm finding pricing things a really difficult task. I don't want to base things on a daily rate as I know it takes me longer at the moment than a seasoned pro would take. Can anyone offer a rough guide please?

TIA

Mark

There are lots of variables.
I'd avoid painting if I was you - just primer and the rest left to the decorators. Reasons for this -
1. I don't like painting and decorating and have better things to do, and it involves several return visits between coats.
2. It's another trade - a professional will do a better job than me,
3. painting entails re-touching as necessary during the first few years, as knots lift or other defects show. You could get called back.
4. If someone else does it you can blame the decorator if anything goes wrong - or blame it on lack of maintenance etc. This is usually the reason why things go wrong in my experience.
You also must be careful about how much making good you do - any more than a few inches of plaster, then let their plasterer do it.
Double glazing will be a problem with weights which are going to cost you more than you think unless you cast your own from lead.
Big windows - £800 to 1k each?

cheers
Jacob

Cheers Jacob.

I think I will heed your advice regarding the painting as I wasn't looking forward to this. I could see it taking me a lonnnngggg time,

BTW just missed this post and sent you a PM

Thanks again

Mark

I normally charge the same for any size window (within reason) because it's the same amount of work . The main price change will be on the glass and weights or springs/spirals , i adjust this accordingly .
Jacob's estimate sounds about right , but get a quote for the DG first .

Back