Another oil drum planter.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
I finished this yesterday and thought I might share a few wip type pics.
For some reason I really like using oil drums. There free, strong and seem a waste to chuck out.
a45a4dc3c281460e1d1cb4cf2df48559.jpg

After recently painting the side of my shed there was a large space a long planter could go- brighten it up a bit.
6e6438b0e5825e04c3184fbdfe36dec8.jpg

I cut some slots in the drums and pop riveted them together. I knocked six inches off the width which meant I could still get the car to fit on the drive, also meant I could have a decent amount of soil depth near the edges.
d55fbc06116c3fa5262481a197603516.jpg

I've had a small pile of green oak I've needed to get rid of, so this seemed like a good time to use it up.
9f20d0bfc31cb2e862c3acbcf479ad92.jpg

113cdc4651bb77f16d8f436445b3ab01.jpg

The overall width is just under 550mm so it's 30mm smaller than the original 580mm diameter drum.
5b0b703ff0d57e38c3ae8d0be6df536e.jpg

The notches in the legs were a pain in the butt ! Unfortunately I've had to build the frame around the drums as there was no way to get them in once the joints of the frame were drawbored. If/when I need to replace the drums, I'll have to drill out a couple pins to get it apart :?
348428c8a32498100ab2feaef74891a6.jpg

A few bits of oak between each drum end, to allow me to fix a cover piece on the drum joints.
5c6dc0c9365319db461acf80998fec2e.jpg

Spreaders on the legs supporting a long length of wood that keeps the drums up tight.
e0bd91e52fcdaec61edc989db8bcac13.jpg

Progress ;)
e5c800bef657ca7359b8342ca3a40668.jpg

My dad had a pile of rusty sheets I thought I could use for the sides. After I'd chucked it in my car he began telling me how bad he felt giving me all his rubbish :lol: he even offered to buy me some new sheets !!!
6f70fb779ada24321602efa9cf3c5ce0.jpg

f8c4daf1028934d1b3a3de1969f7ff4e.jpg

Pressure washing the muck off was scary !! I think I blew a few extra holes in it!
7333fa50cac6d3d56a9ae7e84126577a.jpg

I put a couple coats of rust curer on, to try to prevent it rusting out as quick.
e3f1817b747924e9eb250db868b38d92.jpg

Fixing the sheet concerned me (I thought it might disintegrate) so I put a small saw cut in the rail for it to slot in.
b6f086b65eca47323e96151a4cf4d775.jpg

d2d81f04cd044155878a3360aa7c8e48.jpg

4 screws in each sheet should hopefully make it a simpler task to replace. I originally thought I'd glue them in aswell but 4 screws seemed to hold it in nice and steady.
262f73e956870b44ee631cb0e6dca763.jpg

Holes drilled in the bottom for drainage.
be9020e86847dd2b0b0a71a4e1ea2f0e.jpg

360 litres of compost and it was filled.
0caf54408ea68cc73c8ee9d9cbf53fdc.jpg

I've ordered 6 steel balls to go where the lights are. When they finally decide to give up at least it'll cover the hole I drilled in the top of the legs. I'll leave them outside so hopefully might look as rusty as the sides,when the time comes.
I've had a bag full of bulbs I've been meaning to plant for a while. I decided I'd have Wednesday off to make this - I was still making it thursday night at 8.30pm, then doing final assembly yesterday for a few hours :lol:
Hopefully get the bulbs in this weekend.

The only real cost for me was the solar lights and my time. The most frustrating expense was wrecking a new m42 bandsaw blade. I was cutting packing to level the legs in. lesson learnt- don't rush, even if it means finishing a job. Did I mention I wrecked/kinked the newish bandsaw blade ? Argghhh, balls !!!

Cheers, thanks for reading if you've got this far ;)

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That looks brilliant =D>
It's going to look great next summer with flowers, we'll need an update :D

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to the oak aging a little.

Phil, does that apply to every oil drum ? I get mine from two different places and there always keen to get rid. I'll ask them both next time I see them. I've got 10 in the garden now, wonder how much they could have got back [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]
Cheers

Coley

Thanks Terry. I'm curious what my dad will say when he sees the holey sheets.
The steel balls arrived today.

03471a7395822282e0888e3c203102ab.jpg

With a little more rust i think I prefer them to the led lights. ?
Cheers
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Very nice, very nice indeed - a man after my own, and waaay better than I would have made - the oak is lovely, and the corrugated tin really adds interest to my eyes.

Another cracker Coley. They all make me smile. I prefer the steel balls personally fwiw. I'm trying to resist a plant the bulbs they will light the garden right up joke....

Sorry; the planters look good, but the thought of using rusty wriggly tin on a project leaves me a bit cold (speaking as someone who normally loves your stuff).

Maybe I've spent too much time on a farm, where rusting sheets are a curse!

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate them all.

Chip shop":266x48ds said:
Sorry; the planters look good, but the thought of using rusty wriggly tin on a project leaves me a bit cold (speaking as someone who normally loves your stuff).

No need to apologise [WINKING FACE] I was expecting alot more negative comments on the use of the sheeting to be honest. For years I tried making everything using perfect materials and for years everything I made looked kinda bland/boring. It's only recently (last few years) I've thought balls to it and made what I want to make instead of what's probably more ....socially acceptable? - something like that anyway [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]
I enjoy the risk taking now and seeing people's reaction.

Having rusty sheets like this for roofing must have been a nightmare !!!

For my next project, I'm cutting up a massive old cast iron table saw and putting a waterwheel inside to go on the back of the shed. I was tempted to do a proper wip on it, but thought posting pictures of me taking a 9 inch grinder to a massive vintage table saw might have got me banned [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] - it just works out cheaper to use a saw instead of starting from scratch !
Cheers

Coley

ColeyS1":1kt28ygi said:
Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate them all.

Chip shop":1kt28ygi said:

No need to apologise [WINKING FACE] I was expecting alot more negative comments on the use of the sheeting to be honest. For years I tried making everything using perfect materials and for years everything I made looked kinda bland/boring. It's only recently (last few years) I've thought balls to it and made what I want to make instead of what's probably more ....socially acceptable? - something like that anyway [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]
I enjoy the risk taking now and seeing people's reaction.

Having rusty sheets like this for roofing must have been a nightmare !!!

For my next project, I'm cutting up a massive old cast iron table saw and putting a waterwheel inside to go on the back of the shed. I was tempted to do a proper wip on it, but thought posting pictures of me taking a 9 inch grinder to a massive vintage table saw might have got me banned [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] - it just works out cheaper to use a saw instead of starting from scratch !

Cheers

Coley

I know what you mean re: chucking some wacky stuff in a project, but wriggly tin just doesn't pickle my onions...also I don't have the imagination to turn out the stuff you do.

I've just given away a very, very old line-drive Robi saw bench, that originally had a 3' blade on it. I remember the thing running when I was a kid. Even as a child I found it terrifying, best thing that could have happened to it was for it to have been cut in half and turned into a water wheel :lol:

PS: so make sure you do a WIP :D

Another vote for a WIP on the water wheel. I don't think anyone should apologise or otherwise curb what they fancy doing design wise; even the finest of handmade items, constructed with skilled attention to detail, still gets booed off the stage around here by some, as was recently with that handmade but very "Salvador Dali" style grandfather clock.

Latest posts

Back