Another Mac query...battery this time

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
SWIMBO was having a perusal of the Daily Wail :roll: and noticed a piece about charging batteries on things like laptops and similar. Currently, we have the IMac on a permanent desk where it's plugged into the mains 24/7, so the power cord to recharge the battery is connected all the time. The machine is switched off at night and put into 'sleep' mode by closing the lid during the day when it's not in use.
The question here is...what do other Mac laptop users do? Power cord out and replaced when the battery runs low or leave in the power cord all the time? - Rob

There is stuff in the instructions about this but I flatten my battery so that it shuts down once a week and I try to keep the battery cycling rather than keeping it charged all the time.
I think you should read the apple recommendations though.

i flatten mine quite regularly but after 12 months, battery life is pretty poor now

I've run a Macbook pro for about 3 yrs now, same as you, always mains in, shut lid to sleep. Once every so often (a week maybe) re-boot as it gets cluttered (the ram, the OS etc). But battery life off-power is still very good - I believe Apple's battery supply management is excellent - once the power input turns green the battery is asleep and the mains is running everything, so the battery isn't charge - cycling as much as it may seem.
I hope you enjoy your Mac... it will grow on you I am sure (just as my marking knife is :wink: )

condeesteso":pv9z3xho said:
.....Once every so often (a week maybe) re-boot as it gets cluttered (the ram, the OS etc). .....

You shouldn't need to...unless by putting it to sleep, you inhibit the normal background tasks that are normally automatically done by the OS overnight. Bit like defragging a Mac....pointless.

may I say do it anyway. I learned this from a team of designers who work big Macs hard day in, day out. A reboot every so often is no bad thing. (Same with yr iPhone too.)

condeesteso":14kwjomq said:
may I say do it anyway. I learned this from a team of designers who work big Macs hard day in, day out. A reboot every so often is no bad thing. (Same with yr iPhone too.)

"And such are myths and legends born" ..... :wink: :D

It doesn't need it if the overnight scripts are allowed to run OR badly written programs are running which do not release memory OR badly written programs that leave files locked.

But each to their own !

RogerS":axi81fih said:
Interesting link, thanks Rog. From what I can gather this bit:

Standard Maintenance
For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge

... seems say to that using the battery during the day (lead out) and then recharging overnight (lead in, Mac switched 'on', lid down) might be a better way to use it, rather than have the lead left in 24/7? - Rob

Similar logic for my IPad battery, however I run the battery flat then recharge, only time will tell.

If you go to Applications>Utilities>System information>Hardware>Power you get all kinds of info about your battery condition - assuming it's running on battery at the time, of course. I have a 15-month old Macbook Pro that I've used mostly plugged in to the mains and noticed a significant reduction in battery capacity when I was up at my parents before Christmas. A quick battery check told me I had done just 81 cycles (full charge/discharge) with battery condition of 83%; Apple reckon on doing 1000 cycles before hitting 80%, so I was well down. A week or so of using it on battery only, then charging only until it's fully charged has now brought it back to "healthy" battery status and a cycle count of 91.

So yes, where possible and practical probably best to use it on battery. Oh and FWIW the only time I've ever shut mine down or restarted it is due to software updates that have required it.

Cheers, Pete

Yes, it was "System Profiler" in previous versions of OSX; it's "System Information" on OSX 10.7 Lion, which the OP has (new Macbook Pro, from his other post recently). And agreed, it's well worth having a dig around in there - as well as in the 'utilities' folder in general, all kinds of handy goodies to play with ;)

Pete

Back