Another dating query (picture heavy)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up a bit of an oddity yesterday. It's a No7, with the low front knob, but not sure of what/where/when. The only numbering/lettering is the 7 on the toe and what looks like a later STANLEY on the lateral adjuster. (sorry - doesn't show up on the picture) There are what might be the remains of two rivets behind the tote which could have been to hold some sort of metal label lengthways along the body. The yoke is a casting and the adjuster works clockwise, unlike modern planes, but no idea whether the frog belongs to it or was transplanted from elsewhere. When I acquired it it was "fitted" with a tapered Sorby iron! Tried it with a modern Stanley iron, but that is too thin to sit properly on the frog as the reinforcement round the adjuster on the cap iron is too thick for it. But found a Ross and Alexander parallel iron and this fits fine after a bit of easing of the adjuster slot.

Questions:-
1. Who might have made the body - is it actually Stanley, or if not who?
2. Does the frog belong with it, or is it some sort of Frankenplane (in addition to the tapered iron)
3. Does anyone have any information about Ross and Alexander? No idea where the iron came from (almost certainly a car boot round Milton Keynes) and the only references via Mr Google are to a fleabay sale of a Ross and Alexander (London) chisel.
Pictures below, but done in a hurry so not of the best quality.

DSCF5022.JPG

DSCF5025.JPG

DSCF5028.JPG

DSCF5030.JPG

DSCF5032.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF5022.JPG
    DSCF5022.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,641
  • DSCF5025.JPG
    DSCF5025.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 1,641
  • DSCF5028.JPG
    DSCF5028.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 1,641
  • DSCF5030.JPG
    DSCF5030.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,641
  • DSCF5032.JPG
    DSCF5032.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,641
Thanks guys - gives me a bit of a start on more research. What puzzles me is the absence of the Stanley name from the body of the plane. Presumably they did normally put their names more prominently than just a little line on the lateral adjuster?

The Ross and Alexander ref is short, but I do like the idea of that metalworking lathe for 4 guineas!

I have a number of pre 1900 Stanley Bailey pattern bench planes and you often have to look pretty hard for the makers name anywhere on the casting or the peripherals. One thing to check for that will help date it is if you remove the tote, in the raised part of the casting designed to receive it there might be a letter "S". That would make it 1890's or thereabouts. There should be some lettering on the lateral adjuster irrespective of age although this is often lost to rust damage. Have a really close look - can you see the word "Stanley" and possibly a number of dates?

Here is a pic of what to look out for in the lateral adjuster. Some versions don't have all or any of the dates but I suspect yours should (if it is a Stanley frog) but they do generally have "Stanley" on there:

Thanks, Corneel, that looks like a very precise and comprehensive checklist, if a bit daunting to use. The lettering on the lateral adjuster is probably the same style as the one Memzey shows, but without any additional dating or other information. Without going through the dating table in detail, I wondered if the rather plain styling and lack of lettering might be something to do with wartime (WW1) economy.
But a bit more research on Ross and Alexander turned up this,
http://www.backsaw.net/forum/index.php? ... ander.213/
which suggests that the iron which I had lying around could well be contemporary with the body. Gave it a quick run over the oilstone and it cuts pretty well, so if nothing else, this has the makings of an excellent user.

Anyone now want a modern Record No7 - can't justify keeping two No 7s?! :D

The one pic I didn't take this afternoon was one to show that reinforcement. Will do it tomorrow, as the plane is safely packed away for the night now!
But have done a bit of fettling with citric acid to get rid of the bits of rust, and here are some pics of the results.

Ross & Alexander iron mark. The iron takes a really good edge, as the slice out of my finger will attest!
DSCF5034.JPG

Base for frog
DSCF5036.JPG

Lateral adjuster - there is a patent number to the left of the Stanley but it's difficult to read
DSCF5038.JPG

Frog upper surface
DSCF5040.JPG

Lever cap - no writing in it
DSCF5044.JPG

Lever cap rear.
DSCF5046.JPG

Complete plane with a Bailey-labelled No 6, 'orribly pitted with rust and bit missing from tote, but takes a really good edge so very useable, if not very pretty.

Attachments

• DSCF5034.JPG
    DSCF5034.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,406
  • DSCF5035.JPG
    DSCF5035.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,405
  • DSCF5036.JPG
    DSCF5036.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 1,406
  • DSCF5038.JPG
    DSCF5038.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,406
  • DSCF5040.JPG
    DSCF5040.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,406
  • DSCF5044.JPG
    DSCF5044.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 1,406
  • DSCF5046.JPG
    DSCF5046.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,406
Very nice DM. It's definitely an early Stanley. By the way did you ever stop and ask yourself why you needed a No.6 and 7 (or two) or did you just reconcile yourself to the fact that you wanted them and that was enough! To be fair I did ask myself do I really need No's 6, 7 and 8 but that didn't stop me getting them either!

memzey":1pde8dlr said:
By the way did you ever stop and ask yourself why you needed a No.6 and 7 (or two)
Sorry, don't understand the question :D :D :D :D

To answer Bugbear's query, here are a few more pics, this time of the reinforcement around the depth adjuster slot in the cap iron.
DSCF5049.JPG

From blade side
DSCF5050.JPG

Slight problem - you can't quite slide it far enough up to remove cap iron screw through the big hole.
DSCF5052.JPG

Outside face of cap iron
DSCF5051.JPG

Inside face.

Attachments

• DSCF5052.JPG
    DSCF5052.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,283
  • DSCF5051.JPG
    DSCF5051.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,283
  • DSCF5050.JPG
    DSCF5050.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,283
  • DSCF5049.JPG
    DSCF5049.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 1,283
Wow - they appear to be riveted/peined in place, but the holes are really close to the slot.

I'm surprised someone capable of that kind of precise work made a bit of a hash of the subsequent clean-up filing.

Thanks for the photos.

BugBear

bugbear":bvbc8ulk said:
Wow - they appear to be riveted/peined in place, but the holes are really close to the slot.

I'm surprised someone capable of that kind of precise work made a bit of a hash of the subsequent clean-up filing.

Thanks for the photos.

BugBear

Maybe they riveted on a small piece of bar, using two rivets, and then drilled through and filed out the slot afterwards. That would be an easy way for the rivets to end up rather close to the edge, and would have needed some heavy hacksawing to get right to the bottom of the bit of bar, to make the cut.

Seems like an awful lot of work for a questionable gain. It does possibly help with backlash, which is certainly minimal, but on this plane it means that a thinner iron can't be used because the cap can't sit any closer to the frog. My thought on construction is slightly different - two separate pieces each with a projection passed through a hole in the undrilled cap iron and rivetted, then the slot drilled out and filed to size. But as noted, the filing was a bit ham fisted, unless some earlier owner was trying to ease something to fit a thinner iron. There's an indecipherable name badly stamped on to the front knob with what was obviously a nicely professional stamp badly used,, which might support the clumsy version.

Using the spreadsheet linked above, the plane seems to be consistent with the period 1890 to 1900, so isn't a cut-back "war standard" version. Quite pleased with it, especially as the "found" iron is probably contemporary :D

AndyT":2buc4naf said:
bugbear":2buc4naf said:

Thanks for the photos.

BugBear

Maybe they riveted on a small piece of bar, using two rivets, and then drilled through and filed out the slot afterwards. That would be an easy way for the rivets to end up rather close to the edge, and would have needed some heavy hacksawing to get right to the bottom of the bit of bar, to make the cut.

Good analysis, seems to fit all the observed facts.

BugBear

Back