Another Corian Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been at it again.

And the ruler shot

Its got black sparkly Corian in, but the sparkles don't go all the way through :(

Pete

I haven't tried it out yet I have only just finished it.
I am going to put it through its paces tomorrow.

Pete

Kalimna":yk6zqt7u said:
Elegant, and shiny. Stunning looking plane - how does it perform? - When you go into production, can I order one in Damascus steel???

Adam

mmmm damascus steel (even though it technically isn't - just pattern welded.. but Damascus just sounds better!)

Pete, that's lovely!
If you can make it to Richard Arnold's open day, could you bring it along? It will be in good company - though you may have to let some of us have a go with it.

Will do Andy.

It won't be in the sale :wink:

Pete

Corian works like dusty wood you can machine it file it sand it and plane it.
Plaining doesn't leave a good finish but some fine wet and dry and metal polish shines it up a treat.

Pete

I forgot to add this photo.

She works a treat! I thought I needed to do some work on the bed but it was just the blade a little bent.

By the way don't use Teak to test a shiny plane or you will have to re-polish one side :oops:

Pete

Hi Pete

I thought it was the ideal stuff for an infill plane because its not going to move like wood, so no need for spacers on the rivets through the infill.

And it comes in some nice colours!

Pete

That's gorgeous, Pete. The finish on the sides is something else.

Only problem is - you'll have to wear white cotton gloves to use it.....

Racers":2kb5vhy8 said:
Hi Pete

I thought it was the ideal stuff for an infill plane because its not going to move like wood, so no need for spacers on the rivets through the infill.

And it comes in some nice colours!

Pete

You are right it does come in some nice colours and looks very rich for it! I felt I should have been wearing white gloves when I handled them, beautiful!
Peter

Now that I look at this again, the corian gives this an echo of a Steinway Piano.. very elegant.

Nice one Pete! Looking forward to seeing it "in the flesh".

And on the subject of flesh...a word of warning about Corian. It planes fine with sharp tools BUT...if you plane a square edge please please just take the edge off with a bit of fine abrasive or you may find yourself lacerating you hand. It is super sharp like a razor edge and for those of us who are prone to wipe dust away with their hands...be prepared to get some serious cuts! (DAMHIK!!!! :oops: )

A wonderful twist on old and new together there Pete....I like it...a lot!

=D> =D>

Jimi

Back