An Old Piano....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg W

Reaction score
Is there anything that can be done with an old Walnut veneered piano....as a Piano it's useless but the veneer is lovely, there is a pine soundboard and what I think is walnut veneer over pine...?

G

Dont forget the keys, could be a lot of pen blanks in there. Might even be ivory/ebony.
regards, bill

I remember in the '70s I saw an article about converting a piano into a drinks cabinet. The bottles were stored underneath the keyboard, the glasses in the keyboard area and above had the optics. It was painted pink :? but then it was the '70s :D .

Hi,

I have seen pianos converted to play 8 tracks of Mrs Mills, that was a long time ago.

Joke

Q, Whats better than daffodils on your piano?

A, Tulips on your organ

Pete

I have the same thing, an old (1920's) piano that was worth nothing. We broke it apart and kept the panels, they are now in my garage, burr walnut veneer, no idea what to do with them! The keys were lacquered beech or a formica type material. The rest of the piano looked like it was made from fence posts, still, the panels are nice. Any ideas?

Aidan

Yea...sounds familiar, lovely veneered panels and fence posts inside..!!

Sorry Bill, the keys, action hammers etc went down the dump some months ago...

I had the idea of converting it to a desk, hi-fi cabinet or some such like but I think you'd have to more or less take it apartand reassemble it...

Oh well..

just found this old post which intrigues me....

"...a guy who had just bought an old piano for 99p on Ebay, and was going to use the spruce from the soundboard and the mahogany from the case to make a guitar "

mmmmm....!!

You could always keep it for the fun side of life :lol:

Hears what to do :!:

Sit at the piano holding a plastic cup with your teeth ( it must cover your nose )

and repeat after me , sing

" Sitting at my piano ----- the other day "

and hey presto :p

a Snozel Durante impression :p :p 8)

OK

coat

hat

door

:wink:

Had an old bedroom suite that also had nice veneers. They had a cellulose finish mind. I dismantled it. Threw out the rubbish parts and stacked the good pieces in my yard leaning against the wall. Three months or so later I had some lovely sheets of veneer that the weather had separated from the ply panels as neat as you like. I stored the veneers under my bench between two dry sheets of ply with newspaper in between the leaves in case of glue sticking. So if your old piano parts are glued with non waterproof glue you might try that? Just keep an eye on them in case they look as if they will spoil.

John :)

Hi all

I have turned about 80 old pianos into davenport writing decks over the years that I worked as a antique restorer, It was a very nice side earner.
The best prices were for the 24" ones in a nice walnut burr.
regards
Norman

Any tips?....I've looked at the frame etc and guessed that nothing short of a sledgehammer would part the iron frame from the wooden frame...!!!

Greg W":1bevl1a3 said:
Any tips?....I've looked at the frame etc and guessed that nothing short of a sledgehammer would part the iron frame from the wooden frame...!!!

Hi.

I used 3 steel brick bolster and a club hammer to remove the sides from the metal frame allow a couple of inches for the wood to split,clean up with a adze on the floor. cut to size and reduce as required.
Used to be very good sellers I received at auction between £1000 and £1500 each took about a weeks work for each one.But as a infill job between waiting for glue/polish etc was usefull sorce of income.
regards
norman

I've dismantled a number of pianos in my time and have a standing order at out recycling centre for them. If nothing else the old solid brass piano hinges are brilliant.
But one I have still in store was a complete revelation, it's Rosewood veneer, over Walnut would you believe?

Roy.

Latest posts

Back