Mystery wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SausageSandwich

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Can anyone help my identity this wood. From looking about online I think it’s yellow poplar/tulipwood but I’m no expert.
It was part of a cheap piano cabinet and originally had a mahogany veneer on top.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 3626C1B8-C841-487A-AD83-A441236E8D0E.jpeg
    3626C1B8-C841-487A-AD83-A441236E8D0E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Yes, looks like it to me, Especially with that discolouration, which can be quite'greenish at times. Its used a lot for painted cabinets and alike,
It's available in 'bigish lumps', ( technical term :) ) 'so you can make nice chunky mouldings out of it

Yes, looks like it to me, Especially with that discolouration, which can be quite'greenish at times. Its used a lot for painted cabinets and alike,
It's available in 'bigish lumps', ( technical term :) ) 'so you can make nice chunky mouldings out of it
Ok thanks! I’ve got a few sheets of it so I’m gonna think up some projects to use it with

Yes, poplar was used in cheap pianos. I once demolished a disused piano as I could see rosewood inside. Turned out it was a few pieces of veneer glued on. The rest was poplar. ! :rolleyes:

Back