An Introduction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrcs91

Reaction score
Hello,
 I've spent many hours searching for decent British wood working forums and I think I've found what I'm looking for... I'm hoping to start up wood working / carpentry again after a bit of a break. I qualified as a carpenter a few years ago through an apprenticeship scheme, which has then led me to a few years where I made some good and some stupid decisions. I'm now hoping to correct a few of the stupid ones and get myself back on track. 
I'm lucky that I have a small amount of workshop space, a 10x8 shed, so not oodles of room but enough space to get me going... A selection of good quality carpentry tools... And a little bit of time to commit to it all..
 I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good furniture making related books for beginners?

Many thanks 
Charlie

Welcome aboard Charlie.

Hope you get some fun out of the Forum.
As for books?
I think Ernest Joyce's book fits the bill, but it seems you would probably already know a good chunk of that.
I like John Bullar's methods of working, and he has a book and DVDs that should be useful, if only to give a few personal 'wrinkles' (as opposed to non-trad ways of working). And our own members can often help. Just ask away and usually someone comes along with most of the answers.
All the best :D

I bought the John Bullar book a few weeks ago. Very good, IMHO. There are some videos on youtube which encouraged me to buy the book.

I've also been finding John Bullar's book (Cabinetmaking: A Foundation Course) pretty useful. I can't speak for whether it's better or worse than others, and I'm a relative beginner to the world of furniture-making myself (previously I've been making pretty utilitarian stuff, but I'm having a go at 'indoors' furniture) but I've not had any complaints so far. It's got a fairly straightforward presentation style with lots of (relevant) pictures and diagrams.

I've just checked out John Bullard's videos on YouTube, they seem very good and I've found his books on amazon. Now for a stupid question, whats the difference between 'cabinetmaking: a foundation course' and 'furniture making: a foundation course' ?

Thanks
Charlie

Mrcs91":3uqwczyo said:
Now for a stupid question, whats the difference between 'cabinetmaking: a foundation course' and 'furniture making: a foundation course' ?

I was under the impression - I think from the end of his youtube videos - that the latter was just the US-market version of the former? (Do the Americans not talk about 'cabinetmaking' perhaps?)

JakeS":1g8fbin3 said:
I was under the impression - I think from the end of his youtube videos - that the latter was just the US-market version of the former? (Do the Americans not talk about 'cabinetmaking' perhaps?)

Teach me to pay more attention...! I'll get that ordered...

Thanks
Charlie.

hello charlie welcome

Hello,
I've spent many hours searching for decent British wood working forums and I think I've found what I'm looking for...

perhaps you`d be good enough to let me know where this is

all the best
rob

If that is supposed to be a joke perhaps some smileys might help!

Welcome Charlie

Rod

Hi Charlie, Welcome. I have found much valuable information from this forums helpful members.

I agree that Ernest Joyce`s book is great, keep your eyes out for a cheaper copy though some are very expensive. Also I have a book by Tage Fridd about joint making that is excellent too.
Oxfam book shops are a good bet.
I find that magazines can be useful. Fine woodworking is good (But I still can`t get my head around imperial measurements ) Furniture and Cabinetmaking is excellent. Someone was selling some old magazines on the for sale section here not long ago.
And of course Youtube and other internet resources.

Good luck

Ollie

Ollie78":1nkdcpk9 said:
I agree that Ernest Joyce`s book is great, keep your eyes out for a cheaper copy though some are very expensive.

I will be keeping my eyes peeled for a copy at a reasonable price.

Thanks
Charlie.

Not so much Cabinet Making,,,,,,'Complete Woodworkers Manual' published by Collins, ISBN 0-00-414005-2 and get it for about 3 squids on ebay.

Andy

Latest posts

Back