american magazines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
just another heads up for those interested.

i like some of the other american mags like American Woodworker,
and Better Homes and Gardens WOOD.

i have today discovered that instead of having to buy them from an expensive importer like Borders, that they are both available through your local paper shop if they contact COMAG through their magazine cafe subsidiary. i would guess you have to special order for a period of say 6 months, but if like me you find them useful too then it is probably worth it.

just to show, WOOD, borders direct import £5.75, comag wholesale to retail, £2.50. :twisted:

you could not make it up.

the latest issue of wood includes an article about buying and using a planer, some joint torture testing and some finish details.
certainly worth 2.50 of my dough, even if not directly comparable.

paul :wink:

The wholesale price may be £2.50 but the Comag magazines I have bought are nearer £5-6.00 to joe public.

WHSmiths do Fine Woodworking that comes with a Comag sticker on it and as WHSmiths supply a large proportion of smaller newsagents I suspect the costs will be the same.

Jason

wot's hustler jason, or does that make it easy to understand the jacuzzi :twisted: :lol:

might then be worth the money :lol:

Wasn't that the name of the mag you tried to sell me from the boot of your car :lol:

I buy most of my Murican glossies from the local corner shop wot just 'appens to have good taste, but...the prices for COMAG gear is "sell your children" style...Ow come you can get 'em for 'one and tuppence h'apenny' then? What is the magical incantation or which lodge runs it? Details my good man, DETAILS!

ok lets go back to basics,

jason i did not have any room to sell you things from the mondeo's boot there was too much veneered mdf in it :lol: :lol:

my latest copies of the two mags specified were as follows
note this was my retail price. ie wot i paid to get them

american woodworker £3.40
wood bought yesterday £2.50
and i called magazine cafe to confirm that they provide it, and it will be available through my local w.h. smiths

just got my latest copy of WOOD magazine, seems my sub is still running :?

anyway they are streaming some videos now, and there is an interesting one about sharpening, which i hesitate to mention, in case i start another "thread", but worth the look if you have broadband.
about 6 minutes long. another kind of "scary sharp"

try woodmagazine.com.

colin, not sure which is wierder, using a high speed grinder with a normal appearing wheel, or the single bevel :twisted: :lol:

but it seems that we should all think about a different honing wheel.
i must look seriously at the australian idea of a solid mdf disc. :lol:

Hi Paul

Tilgear do a hard leather wheel with the rouge that you can put in a drill.
Horses for courses I guess :)

Can I ask why he bothers to go to all that trouble working the back of that chisel on flat abrasives when he subsequently rounds it over on a buffing wheel? Or would that be too provocative? :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":25qjzsnp said:
Can I ask why he bothers to go to all that trouble working the back of that chisel on flat abrasives when he subsequently rounds it over on a buffing wheel?

Yeah, why do people do that :? :? The bloke demonstrating the Tormek at Kempton Park did the same (but with a leather wheel) when sharpening a plane blade. He was doing well until then. I looked at the blade when he had finished and it didn't look very good to me :cry: I use a leather strop with polishing compound on my plane blades but I reckon you have to have it on a flat surface.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

well i manage to get my chisels flat on the back with my tormek,
but i think for many the addition of a wooden block to put the chisel level with the top of the wheel could be a good thing.

as for his plane, i also worry about the way he uses the edge of that
buffer for his honing, but then what do we know, we are only english????

Tormek is very nice for grinding, but I do not choose to use the demonstrated methods of buffing on my fine cabinetmaking bench chisels or plane blades.

Prefer to use waterstones for honing as the backs are kept flatter.

David C

Latest posts

Back