Amazon Prices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulrockliffe

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered a Starrett C9-12-4R combination set on Amazon in November because the price looked very good. I've had a few emails since telling me that they didn't have stock and did I want to keep the order? It's arrived today, wow is it a nice bit of kit!

So I've just looked, I ordered it and paid £23.89 delivered, now Amazon have stock it's listed at £174.05! I don't know whether these usually sell for as much as that, but it certainly looks like it's worth a lot more than the £24 I paid for it. It's so nice it's about the only tool I've got that is going to have to be kept in the (also very nice) box it arrived in.

Ironically I lost the cheap combination square that I had and ended up buying another cheap one in the meantime. That one cost £16 for just bog standard average rubbish. And then I found my old one last week anyway.

Anyway, I've no idea how to easily keep a look out for bargains like this on Amazon, but it's certainly worth having an occasional look!

You did very well indeed!
With a quick search the cheapest I can find is £110.

i have that set, bought a couple of years ago. IIRC it was much nearer the £110 that Roger found, but I think a good buy even at that price.

paulrockliffe":1ovzf50p said:
Starrett C9-12-4R combination set .... I ordered it and paid £23.89 delivered

That's basically not a price, it's an error - well done!

BugBear

bugbear":1wsd5dmw said:
paulrockliffe":1wsd5dmw said:

It certainly was an error, and you can see here that it was on the site for a long time at that price, shame nobody told us!

By the way, Amazon currently have Starrett try squares and rulers for about £7. I don't know if these are usually that cheap, though that camelcamel website has the ruler listed at £50 from 3rd parties. I bought one of each on a whim.

Just looked at the try-square 'Usually dispatched within 1 to 3 months' which seems a little odd also.

Mine was dispatched this morning. I think the combination square said that though, it arrived eventually and if the price is right and you don't *need* it I'd be happy to wait. With Amazon you know they're not going to rip you off by never sending it and keeping the money.

Fitzroy":3qjg2hqy said:
Just looked at the try-square 'Usually dispatched within 1 to 3 months' which seems a little odd also.
There are 4 sizes of the cheap try square, 200, 250, 300 and 350mm look here

pcb1962":qospdc00 said:
bugbear":qospdc00 said:
paulrockliffe":qospdc00 said:

It certainly was an error, and you can see here that it was on the site for a long time at that price, shame nobody told us!

What the hell Paul!!??

WHAT .. THE ..HELL

:(

:wink:

Sorry I didn't have a clue.

I bought it because I thought it was cheap for all the extra bits it has, I thought I was getting Stanley quality until it arrived all in a box in a box in a box with it's fancy oiled metal and ground cast iron beauty and thought I should see what had happened!

Only negative is that the ruler is only marked in inches, though it's probably worth it for the labeling of the 16ths/32nds/64ths alone as it makes inches much easier to work with if you grew up all metric like me.

pcb1962":1em9gzbw said:
Fitzroy":1em9gzbw said:
There are 4 sizes of the cheap try square, 200, 250, 300 and 350mm look here

I replied to this but it didn't post; the 250 I bought last night was instock and now says 1-3 months. The 200 I just ordered is in stock now and the 350 I also just ordered is 1-3 months. I'm happy to wait if they're anything like the quality of the combination square though.

An amazon review of the Starrett K53M-300-S Try Square...

"When is a Starrett not a Starrett? Apparently when it is made in China. I bought this try square at an attractive price thinking it would be up to Starrett quality, that is a high quality precision tool. Unfortunately this is not what I found. The try square feels uncomfortable in the hand the edges of both the blade and stock are sharp and surprisingly so. The blade was not fitted to the stock at right angles and the measurements from the stock along the length of the blade are incorrect. I really can see no use for a try square that is not set at right angles"

:?

I looked at all of the reviews on all of the cheap ones, there's a lot more very good reviews than very bad reviews. The £5 150mm ruler arrived today, it's superb quality. I'll let you know what the squares are like when they arrive.......

Latest posts

Back