Amazing hand-powered table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fromey

Established Member
Reaction score
I just spotted this on the N. American WoodNet forums. It looks like one of those things where you ask yourself, "Why didn't someone think of this before?" (perhaps they did, but it's the first time I've see such a thing).

I wonder how long the bearings last before they ware and lateral movement in the carriage results.

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/12/18/ha ... ble-s.html

Yup the joint maker gets posted regularly by new members who have not sen it before :D

I had not seen that, i really like it and it would seem excellent for small fine products.
Any idea what to search for as i would love to see the homemade version?
Squib.

when you scroll down and look at the comments poeple have made, one guy says that there are table-saws that stop / cut-out when they hit flesh?? What's he on about, is he joking?

Cheers_Dan.

I cannot find it, but din't a member buy one a few years back? Of course with old age creaping up on me I am most probably wrong :? :?

What do you think Mr S?

Here you go Dan, this is the one you mean

http://www.sawstop.com/

Cheers

Mike

goldeneyedmonkey":2nrvgldo said:
when you scroll down and look at the comments poeple have made, one guy says that there are table-saws that stop / cut-out when they hit flesh?? What's he on about, is he joking?

Cheers_Dan.

Dan - yep - they have such a device in the States - there are some pretty impressive demonstrations - I believe it incorporates a "use-once" (ie replaceable) brake system that stops the saw "immediately". Plenty of info on t'net.

Dave

Yup the saw stop has been out here for a couple of years now .

Once it goes off the blade is 99% of the time scrapped
and the blade lowers real fast .REAL NICE

better than joining the short finger club (i'm a member)

Regarding the joint maker saw table , if you go to you tube and search wiggle wood you can have a fun few minutes watching what johns tool can do for fun with ball bearings, it is a hoot.
As to the sawstop table saw , there is a new model out for the home woodworker at a better price (still not cheap) and wired for amurrican and Canuck home voltages. No need to wire in a special circuit which is thoughtful of them. While the brake is a one use and then off for a refit thing it could get pricey , yet far better than the cost of some digits on the shop floor I believe. Still I have not the budget for it yet and will struggle by with pushsticks and sensible distances from whirling sharp stuff.

-just been reading up on it. Interesting stuff, although it sounds like you have to make compromises (although losing less of a finger has a big appeal :)), blade quality and the fact that you can't cut wet/ green timbers. Also as it's a one use system then you have to replace the relevant parts. But still, it's a very interesting idea. Wonder why the mad H&S obsessed UK aren't in on it?

_Dan.

goldeneyedmonkey":2d2msjme said:
-just been reading up on it. Interesting stuff, although it sounds like you have to make compromises (although losing less of a finger has a big appeal :)), blade quality and the fact that you can't cut wet/ green timbers. Also as it's a one use system then you have to replace the relevant parts. But still, it's a very interesting idea. Wonder why the mad H&S obsessed UK aren't in on it?

_Dan.

The use of crown guards, riving knives and common sense means we have much fewer accidents here

Aidan

Mike.C":2tb0nxxz said:
with old age creaping up on me I am most probably wrong :? :?

What do you think Mr S?
Mike

Well Mr C, if I say yes, that means your right, and that can't be right, can it? :?

I find it difficult to believe that there are no false stops.

For it to always operate on a finger and never operate unless there's a finger in the way sounds unlikely. The cost of a false stop would make me feel robbed.

TheTiddles":rsp9ebmt said:
goldeneyedmonkey":rsp9ebmt said:

_Dan.

The use of crown guards, riving knives

Elf + safety gone mad!

BugBear

Latest posts

Back