Alphabet of Woods

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spindle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I wondered if it was possible to create an alphabet in wood - using common names, Ash, Beech, Cherry, you get he idea.

Well I got on quite well but have hit a wall with the following letters:

N, U, V, X

I may be missing the obvious so thought I'd ask here if anyone can suggest woods with common names beginning with these letters.

Regards Mick

So I'm not the only one to try that sort of thing in an effort to get to sleep!

I did honestly think of Utile before searching, but a quick look at http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/ suggests there are only exotics I'd never heard of for your other gaps, and nothing for X - I expect scientific names could be found though.

Spindle":26hdu8h2 said:
Just X to go then :)

X-Ray Tree?
X-Ray Tree.jpg

:D

Attachments

• X-Ray Tree.jpg
    X-Ray Tree.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 132
The X is a bit of a pity really, since xylo- from the Greek ξύλο is a prefix meaning wood or wooden, you would have thought it would have been attached to one tree or another.

There is no X in the Welsh alphabet....or J, K, V or Z. But we do have CH, DD, FF, NG, LL, PH, RH and TH. I think I'll give up now. :)

Xylia - an African hardwood only found in Tanzania. Weighs a ton. I brought a small piece at the Toolpost open weekend last week.

It really depends on the idiom you want them to be...

In American English (do you consider that real English? :wink: ) you have at least:
Narrow-leafed Ash (Fraxinus angustifolia)
Verawood (Bulnesia sp.)
Vène (Pterocarpus erinaceus/ P. africanus)

I really should resume work on the database I started some months ago...

Back