Alloy Wheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowfax

Established Member
Reaction score
Or to be more specific - painted alloy wheels as opposed to bare aluminium.
Do any of you have any tips for cleaning off baked on brake dust and tar etc?
I know a lot of the cleaners on the market are acid based, which I find a bit scary, so I am wondering if anyone has a better method.
I like to keep the wheels on my cars clean but even with regular washing the brake dust can build up and bake on.
I even wondered about steam cleaning.
Go on - share your way!
Cheers.

SF

I've found Wonder Wheels to be the best, but as far as I remember it can only be used on anodised aluminium, so won't be any good if yours are painted :cry:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks Paul.
Wonder Wheels seems to be recommended but I still wonder if an acid cleaner is the best thing. I know Wonder Wheels should not be used on chrome plating for instance because it can strip it off!
I am wondering if there is another way.
Cheers.

SF

Shadowfax":3ddfcvwk said:
I am wondering if there is another way.

I think it depends on whether your wheels have lots of intricate shapes or are quite plain. If they are intricate I think you will have problems without a powerful cleaner (which always runs the risk of damaging the finish) whereas if they are plain a stiff scrubbing brush would probably do it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Just use TFL (Traffic Film Remover). My mate is a valetor and this is what he uses.

Thanks guys.
The wheels on both cars are plain really. This is one of the reasons I hoped there might be a less aggressive method than an acid-based cleaner.
Traffic Film Remover sounds good. But will it tackle the hardened brake dust issue? I saw it advertised on the net this evening but discounted it in my ignorance.
Any more ideas?

SF

I use Mer alloy & steel wheel cleaner on my gold Subaru wheels and have a BMW branded tar remover spray that I use on the wheels & bodywork.

99% of self colour alloy wheels will have a clear laquer on them so not really any different to painted.

I have used Mr Muscle oven cleaner in the past on very dirty wheels.

Jason

PS you may want to look at this

might not help at the moment, but once clean use an alloy wheel wax (lots available such as autoglym). I use it every other time I wash but depends how frequently you clean. The brake dust builds up but comes off with the easiest wipe(even a dry finger).

You do still get a small amount of discolouring over time, but only very infrequent hard/acid cleaning is then needed. Works for me :)

Lots of ideas. Thanks for your suggestions. I will try one or two out over the next week, weather permitting.
I'm still reading your link, Jason. Some really serious folks on there.
Cheers all.

SF

I have just got a new car and it has got those fancey alloy type 6"wide rims.

Do you have to take the wheels off to clean them, it looks like ,,,,,,,,, hard work having these sorts of wheels?

Latest posts

Back