Ali sash clamps - clamping capacity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowry_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Having read a few threads on clamps, it seems Ali sash clamps from Screwfix represent good value (can't afford Besseys :wink: ).

Whats their clamping capacity? I'm assuming the quoted length refers to the bar, not the capacity. For example, DM-tools give capacities for Irwin-Record sash clamps, usually 6in less than the bar length.

Thanks
Drew

Beware these clamps. I have bought batches of them in the past from various places and it seems that either there are several manufacturers or the one manufacturer has highly variable standards. Some of mine work fine, while others are real b*&@$*@s to adjust, with the quality of the head and tail castings and machining meaning that things just don't line up properly, the aluminium bars then throw up lumps which cause the whole thing to become even more badly behaved.

IIRC the ones I got from Screwfix were at the poor end. Again IIRC the best batch I got was from Tilgear, they were badged as Silverline products, and had blue paint on the castings which were very cleanly cast.

However I won't be buying any more of them from anyone. If you possibly can get some of the 'cheaper' Besseys, I think they call them Uni-Klamps or some such. D&M have a good price on pairs.

A small warning re ali sash clamps - sorry if I am teaching Granny to suck eggs here..

If you tighten them too much (and it is easily done) , the bar bends and the clamp faces are then not parallel. Depending on your assembly, this can pull things out of square.

Lightweight clamps are very useful as long as you stay within their working range and recognise their limitations.

Thanks for the feedback. Since I don't really need heavy-duty clamps just yet, I've decided to buy a set of 600mm UniKlamps from XpressConstruction @ 8.22 inc VAT. This seems like a great price - the smaller sizes are more expensive.

I've been using QuickGrips for small jobs so far, but they're expensive - around 18-19 GPB for 600mm.

Of course, Sod's Law dictates that the next job will require a 1m clamp-up, so I'll be back to agonize about the price of K-Body's :wink:

Drew

Latest posts

Back