Alernative to baleen (whale bone)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
I am planning a replica of a crossbow from c1500 which made extensive use of baleen as inlays and overlays. I was thinking of replacing the side inlays with holly and using bone for the spine along the top. An option could be to use acrylic sheets but I am not totally happy about using plastic on a replica 16th century item. Any thoughts on alternatives?
Screenshot_20220116-132027-313-01.jpeg

Yes. As I understand things its flexible so good for inlays with compound curves. However, the ethics of using "legally harvested" baleen (Alaskan or Norwegian) are difficult for me to deal with. I can use farmed and culled/managed bio products quite cheerfully but I struggle with hunting for no good reason

Essentially you need to scavenge a stranded whale......... probably a good corona infection or two would help as a first step. Those things stink.

On a more serious note I wonder if moose antler would work?

Essentially you need to scavenge a stranded whale......... probably a good corona infection or two would help as a first step. Those things stink.

Antler is a bone so wouldn't have the flex that baleen does but if it's only for inlays then shouldn't be a problem.

Plates cut from antler palm can be molded to shape using steam but antler stem cannot. I would think a moose/elk antler would work. Anyone have any?

I have some Moose and have turned deer. It is very hard and there are no straight large pieces that would fit the crossbow. Cow bone would yield you the largest pieces if you can fined some that is already cleaned and dry. Pet stores here have both as dog chews but they are not very big. Cleaning and boiling etc your own bone is doable but you need to have access to a meat cutter that can save you the long bones. The dust from both are bad for the lungs so make sure you have a good cartridge mask on when messing with the stuff including after while the fines are floating around. Bending antler, horn and bone is not easy but it can be done. You have more research ahead of you. I would make one using plastic and when you have it all down then make one with the cow bone.

Pete

Harvest it from a vintage corset. I've got loads of ivory from an old piano and have no issues using it for inlay, in fact I think it's more ethical to do that than chuck it away.

Antler is a bone so wouldn't have the flex that baleen does but if it's only for inlays then shouldn't be a problem.
Antler is like fingernail, kerotine not bone when soaked in hot water antler is pliable give it a try

Some bows used horn on one side for its compressive strength and ligament on the other for its tensile, can’t remember who though, Mongol, Egyptian?

I've built a crossbow using cow bone, fallow antler and water buffalo horn, all processed from scratch. Antler has a nasty tendency to return to its original shape unless cut very thin and though a splash of acetic acid helps lock in any new shape, it never seems to last and can be damaging to the antler. Good to know elk antler won't be long enough, saves a fruitless search. I think corset boning won't be long enough or wide enough?

I will check out Rothko and Frost.

The Asian hornbows did (do) use horn on the belly and tendon on the back and stretched from Egypt right across India, Korea, the Mongol Empire and China and everywhere in between in a bewildering range of shapes and sizes. They've been documented across thousands of years in ancient Egypt, Scythia, Persia and on and on.

Ram horn is on my bucket list of materials to work with, could be fun to get hold of some but for the inlays, I'm afraid its going to be too short and maybe not white enough?

Last edited:
Cow horn comes in a wide range of colours and would make good inlay. Its a bit smelly if you work it with power tools not so bad with hand tools. Another inlay to think about is pearl shell.
Regards
John

Anthrax is the disease you can get from working old bone or skins.
As working bone causes dust and inhalation of it is the worst type of anthrax infection you can get, where only 10-20% of infected people survive.
You can be lucky though and fall into the 50/50 category survival rate though ;) if they get to you treatment wise quickly that is.

Back