Aldi Vacum Sealer (Could it be used for a vacum bag)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenpin

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, you may say what the hell is he talking about...but listen...

What do you reckon are the chances of making a small vacum press from one of these... :shock:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080526.p.Vacuum_Sealer.ar6

My next door neighbour has one that i looked at some time ago and thought that could be handy for small objects/veneering etc ...granted yes only small items but surely it has potential and on special at £14.99 it's got to be worth a try. it comes with 3 metres of bag and when vacumed you have the option to seal it...like a boil in the bag meal :lol:

SWMBO is off there this morning and picking up 2...one for the kitchen and one for the workshop.... :lol: :lol:

I've got something similar to that which I use to seal plastic bags for the freezer. It has very little suction and I wouldn't dream of using it for veneering.

Gill

I think too much emphasis is placed on the level of vacuum required for veneering.

The massive advantage of a vacuum press is that the force is evenly distributed over the surface, so a good vacuum pump is going to apply about 14psi (which for reference is roughly what holds a 747 in the air). Let's assume you have a crappy system that only applies half a total vacuum, that's 7psi on every inch of the veneer, equivalent to 3 bags of sugar on every inch of the veneer, that's one huge force considering you might otherwise use a board with a few iron weight on it which won't provide even 1/10th that pressure. I have found even 1/3 vacuum plenty to lay a cluster maple veneer down hard onto a beech substrate with PVA glue and give an excellent bond. Presuming your workpiece is flat, you don't need to strive for a perfect vacuum.

I'm building up a home made vacuum system at the moment and will post some pictures once it's all finished.

Aidan

Back