Aldi Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipchaser

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

bought a small 1/4 sheet hand sander at Aldi last week for £9.99. I was a little doubtful as it was so cheap but it works very well, sands vigorously, is not too noisy and is pleasant to use plus has 3 years guarantee.

Has anyone bought the garden shredder they are selling for £99.99? I searched the web for any comments or reviews but found nothing helpful. It is the type that has a worm gear and apparently chips coarsely rather than shreds to fine mulch. Ideal for my use as I want to chip the woody bits. Leaves and soft stuff either go into black bags to compost or on the bonfire. the handbook says it is made by or for Ferm, presumably in China.

Thanks in anticipation for any experiences.

Graham

I Don't know what their shredder is like, but I have a Bosch one that chops rather than shreds and it's excellent. Best for use on biggish stuff though, and the "green" of conifers can clog it a bit.

Si.

chipchaser":17psc24r said:
Hi all,

bought a small 1/4 sheet hand sander at Aldi last week for £9.99. I was a little doubtful as it was so cheap but it works very well, sands vigorously, is not too noisy and is pleasant to use plus has 3 years guarantee.

Has anyone bought the garden shredder they are selling for £99.99? I searched the web for any comments or reviews but found nothing helpful. It is the type that has a worm gear and apparently chips coarsely rather than shreds to fine mulch. Ideal for my use as I want to chip the woody bits. Leaves and soft stuff either go into black bags to compost or on the bonfire. the handbook says it is made by or for Ferm, presumably in China.

Thanks in anticipation for any experiences.

Graham

Lidl also had a shreader in when I bought some cheap calipers. I didn't take any more notice than that though, so unfortunately couldn't tell you more than that.

hello and thanks for your comments.

Si my trawling the net brought up lots of good reviews of the Bosch machines. The quality and chipping action sound ideal but cost is more than I can afford. I am hanging on at the moment to see if Aldi knock another £20 of to clear their version!

If I do buy one I'll report back on how it performs

Graham.

Another vote for the bosch quiet shredders - mine was in use for over 3 hours last weekend. I bought it from ebay about 5 years ago (graded stock) - I've just looked and you can get them for around the£100 mark still - less if you happen to be close to someone that insists on pick up only. I'd go with that option over ferm any day.

dave

I have had bad experiences with all my Aldi hardware purchases and have given up on that source. On first sight, the low prices are seductive, but if you seach the web they are not a lot better than screwfix, toolstation etc etc :

Over the last 3 years:

1 the pillar drill had a lot of slogger in the chuck shaft
2 the welder seemed suitable for household power but on closer inspection needed a 16A dedicated supply (which would put the total cost too high)
3 the screws which came with the set of steel U-brackets were made of toffee
4 the dvd player had a software fault
5 The lawn vacuum has been OK

So my advice is to take care

To be fair, they took it all back without quibble but it wasa big hassle

I have bought a number of Aldi tools over the years. They are not up to the standard and quality of some of my expensive tools, Dremel, DW, Bosch, Ryobi. But they have never let me down, they are cheap and have a 3yr warrenty. The biscuit jointer gets almost daily use, as do the oscillating pad sanders. The 18v drills are great. I will keep on buying when I need to, especially at that price.

Mike Wingate":1vfax4py said:
I have bought a number of Aldi tools over the years. They are not up to the standard and quality of some of my expensive tools, Dremel, DW, Bosch, Ryobi. But they have never let me down, they are cheap and have a 3yr warrenty. The biscuit jointer gets almost daily use, as do the oscillating pad sanders. The 18v drills are great. I will keep on buying when I need to, especially at that price.

+1. Thought as stand by or in a fix tools but have been surprisingly good given price and warranty bonus.
Especially their oscillating saw does everything the bosch and fein does, work mates love it ( buy your own) just the mains lead is a pain, see Tesco are doing a " Pure " 10.8v cordless version for about £54 - £10 voucher = £44 probably complete dung but then again? http://direct.tesco.com/q/buylist/id.4651.aspx

Back