Aldi plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did think that maybe if I bought one, and dismembered it, I could find out what is wrong with it, and make a much better one for myself.

But I already have enough planes!

Okay, I know... Planes are like cramps. We can never have too many!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

John

Hi, John

I had cramp in my leg once, don't want it again :roll: :wink:

Pete

Hi,

£40 for a good nick Record No7 isn't bad.

I did some work on ny Aldi plane slimmed down the wedge to fit lower down the blade and scraped off all the varnish and gave it a coat of wax.
It works quite well now but I think it still needs some fine tuning.

Pete

As long as it is old Mike, I would say that's a fair price, considering what you would pay for a new one that is probably going to be rubbish.

Be sure the lever cap style matches up with the frog-style.
Don't make the mistake I just made with a Record 5 and a half.
Pre war Lever cap... Post war frog!

Oh well I can live with it, but that was close to £40.00 with postage.

Caveat Emptor isn't it?

I slipped up this time! :wink:

John

When you say bakelite do you mean the resin handle, with the 'metallic' sparklies in it?

I have a Stanley No. 7 like that. I must have been lucky, because after a bit of fettling, it turned out well.

I wouldn't buy myself. But if you are set on buying it, try and knock someone down, if it isn't an auction. Say £30.00 might be ok. £25.00 even better.

John :)

thats the one. its in an antique shop in elsecar heritage centre. i have tried goin down but thay stop at 35quuid. thats too much for me so will leave it

Hardly an antique Mike!
It's at the earliest 1970's.
The handles break, especially if there is a slot-headed bolt through the toe of the rear tote..

Regards
John

that is the one! its labelled as rosewood handles aswell. the front knob dont match the tote. walked away from it now, will have to keep rooting through rubbish on a sunday morning for a 'find'. i hate being skint :cry:

Pity I don't have a spare No. 7...
I use mine quite a bit. It's a good plane for all round work. Bit heavy for finishing, but if the iron is sharp they can be pressed into 'smoother' service on bigger jobs.

Best of luck mike.

John :)

I have a modern Stanley 7 it was ok but during a move I got it out of the box, put it on a bench and heard a sort of deep pinging sound, when I looked it had a 1.5mm gap under the centre of the sole, the whole casting had settled. Anyone who wants to do a lot of fettling make me an offer...

Hi, Chaps

I have just been in and they are down to £5.99, so I bought another one :wink:

Pete

Are these planes 'cut and shuts' like the Krenovs? Anyone had a check with a square to see how badly the body has leaned. I don't know if they all use non-quartersawn stock, but with old planes, it's a sure sign that a plane was usermade, when they use parts of flatsawn timber with diagonally slanting grain. Amazing how much a plane will lean compared to proper quartersawn Beech.
Makes you wonder if some guy just knocked them up for the right price out of scrap and the Aldi buyer didn't know any better.
cheers, Nick.

Its £5.99 you could buy a new one every year for the next 10 years and it would still be cheap. I can't say I am too fussed if it warps a little bit as I am using mine as a rough and ready plane and saving my others for finer purposes. Cracking buy from the ALDI purchasers in my view.
Owen

NickUrquhart":3uepaj2m said:
...but with old planes, it's a sure sign that a plane was usermade, when they use parts of flatsawn timber with diagonally slanting grain.

I've seen several factory-stamped wooden plane that aren't quarter sawn.

I've also seen advice in older books and magazines to look out for planes made from quarter sawn timber, which implies that some were, and some weren't.

BugBear

Back