Aldi calipers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, I think the problem is that your fibreglass pencil has taken the protective plating off the contacts.
These often have a gold flashing about a tenth of an atom thick and once this is gone the contacts corrode at a microscopic level. The current drawn by the calipers is so low that this does not self clean.
I you have a soldering iron, clean once a gain with your fibreglass pencil and then tin with a little solder only touching the iron on briefly.

hth

Bob

They are a good set of verniers for the price I've had 2 or 3 sets now the only problem I've found with them is the internal measurement is not very accurate on any of mine as the edges don't quite line up when closed

I use them because I have a habit of breaking them the last ones were left on the floor next to the shaft I was checking and I inadvertently knelt on them

I just picked up a couple for 'stock' this morning.
They work fine but are not the type that provide a socket to a remote display.
Some folk (like me) use these callipers for cheapy digital readout jobs.
However the good news is that the traditional 4 connection are in the circuit board inside and will just need careful soldering to connect to
battery +, data, clock and battery -

Those tempted to dabble can find details here http://www.yadro.de/digital-scale/protocol.html as well as numerous other location on the web. Remote displays ready made can be bought on ebay and virtual village here http://tinyurl.com/6jb4bfm
The guy behind YADRO has disappeared for a while now so don't plan to buy anything he offers on his website.
Lester Caine http://medw.co.uk/ is trying to re-establish contact with him in order to re-stock for UK buyers
I have no commerical contact with these companies other than a satisfied customer of Lester Caine.

Bob

I got a set from Halfords a couple of years ago, and they have been fine. Though I did (as someone mentioned above) have to trim a little foam from the inside of the box lid, else the batteries kept going flat.

Steve Maskery":dkx2d9m1 said:
I went to get them today. I couldn't find them anywhere, in fact very little in the tool dept at all.

Then I realised I was in Lidl.
:oops:
Steve

you weren't wrong, just early, Lidl are doing them from Mon 21st Feb onwards...

LocalOak":1gdqzema said:
Steve Maskery":1gdqzema said:
I went to get them today. I couldn't find them anywhere, in fact very little in the tool dept at all.

Then I realised I was in Lidl.
:oops:
Steve

you weren't wrong, just early, Lidl are doing them from Mon 21st Feb onwards...

Not in all stores it seems. my local store (totton,southampton) are not listing this but in Hereford, they do have the calipers.
First time I've been aware of regional differences to the offers.

Bob

Stocking levels might vary a lot too, I've tried to buy various special offer items from Aylesbury to find that they had sold out by 10 AM. The shelf containing said items only being big enough for 6 or 8 of them.

Frantic phone call to wife on shopping mission this morning resulted in aforementioned calipers being delivered to workshop door (in amongst peas and fishfingers for the freezer!)

Thank you Aldi Dunstable and you guys for the heads up (and lovely understanding wife........) =D>

Latest posts

Back