Ageism rant

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I guess it was bound to happen some time, but it definitely hacked me off. Needed a tail-lift van to collect my (secondhand) wood pellet boiler, so rang round different hire companies. Got a good quote from one national (well, national north of the border) company, the receptionist spelled out all the documents needed, and booked it for today. Drove to the outskirts of Aberdeen and got the bus to near the hire place, walked the last bit as there is no long term parking nearby. Handed over all the docs, signed all the forms, and then the receptionist says "How old are you". "66" "That's no good, we don't hire to anyone over 65". Why the pineapples couldn't she have said that on the phone?

So I drove something over 40 miles, wasted a morning, messed up the two sets of guys who were going to help with the boiler, all for nothing.

Roll on EU legislation making this sort of purely age-related discrimination illegal :evil: .

Beware, over 65's have difficulty with many car hire companies in
Europe getting accepted.

Some American friends wanted to visit and were refused (around 76 years old)

Question directed at Europcar as to their upper age limit for hiring a car as there is no mention on their website.

Here is their e-mail reply:

"Dear Sir

Thanks for the email.

The upper age limit is 100years of age.

Regards

John Walker
Europcar UK Group
Reservation agent"

:wink:

PS. That was received on 27 January this year.

dickm":2qjv5dc2 said:
Roll on EU legislation making this sort of purely age-related discrimination illegal :evil: .

If legislation forces the insurance companies to abandon an upper age limit they will probably just make the premiums for those they prefer not to insure prohibitively expensive. :cry:

was it a respectiable rental company - i mean one the main brands

Otherwize you could try a more local smaller establishement- one with lesser stricked rules

Dunno how "respectable" the company is; to name and shame, it was Turners vehicle hire, based in Glasgow but with other branches including Aberdeen.
Mention of Arnold Clark was interesting - they don't appear to have an upper limit. And the company I contacted today to hire van for Friday seemed slightly surprised to be asked. So hoping for the best; except that the forecast is for snow, and I'm not sure how I feel about driving a large unfamiliar vehicle in a blizzard :(

dickm":1td9itb2 said:
except that the forecast is for snow, and I'm not sure how I feel about driving a large unfamiliar vehicle in a blizzard :(

I would have put you in a home by now. :lol:

My Dad says he hates it, but what do those old guys know.

Back