Age of a trunk / chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpa

Established Member
Reaction score
While looking for interesting woodworking machines on the local version of ebay, I came across the following trunk, purportedly from 1682 and in remarkably good condition. I have a feeling however that I've seen more than one of these recently, and something about it just says "made in India 2012" to me.. or am I wrong to be cynical?

http://www.huuto.net/kohteet/arkku--vuo ... /431761773

trunk1682.jpg

Also on the same site I saw this, which looks a lot more believable to me:

http://www.huuto.net/kohteet/1700-1800- ... /429101426

realtrunk.jpg

I think the latter is probably as described; I've seen several of these too but the style varies somewhat although the basic appearance and design, including the inner compartment on the left are recurring themes, and the general feeling is of something honestly old. What do folks think?

Attachments

• trunk1682.jpg
    trunk1682.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • realtrunk.jpg
    realtrunk.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 1,006
I think your instincts are correct , Jpa! Dates carved on chests mean very little and the lack of oxidisation on the metal looks suspicious. Another clue might be the timber used; any idea what it is?

Just looking at it (the first one of course) again, I wonder what sort of wavy-jointer technique they used, and how the metalwork can be in such great shape after approximately 350 years. Also why the maker should have been so thoughtful in providing a date in neatly cut out 1600's rust free steel numbers? It's a pity that we can't see the back, because I'd be very interested to know what sort of hinges they used in 1682...

Sawyer":lt574kxe said:
I think your instincts are correct , Jpa! Dates carved on chests mean very little and the lack of oxidisation on the metal looks suspicious. Another clue might be the timber used; any idea what it is?

Well the text of the advert is

arkku on erinomaisessa kunnossa ja täysin alkuperäinen,,,,,raudoituksetkin hienossa kunnossa--- joskus maalattu jälkeenpäin hopeamaalilla¨¨
mahtava lukko ja vanha avain....
onkohan tämä vanhin vuosiluvullinen aito esine huutonetissä???? mielellään nouto

Which I would translate as:

The chest is in exceptional condition and completely original - the ironwork too is in fine condition, at some point painted later with silver paint. Wonderful lock and old key. Is this the oldest article on huuto.net with a date? Preferably collect from...

No mention of the timber species. The painting business explains the lack of oxidation of the metalwork, but how can it have been painted so neatly? In situ or elsewhere, and reapplied without damaging the finish?

Remarkable skill used to forge those flat straps so thinly and evenly, you could only do better in a rolling mill :wink:

Pete

To be fair it just says "completely original". I think completely original from last week, roughly.

There is a shop in Tunbridge Wells that sells antique chinese furniture. Some of it is genuine and some of it is manufactured in China to look antique. teh shop owner is completely open about this if you ask her. She has got some very nice tall stools in at the moment that look convincingly old but are in fact new.

The metalwork is too uniform to be anything like as old as that suggested. Also the comments regarding uniform thickness is a giveaway.

The second item looks legit.

Back