African Blackwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anzo

Reaction score
hi all just been given a pallet of African Blackwood, each log is about 9" in diameter and about 5' long, its been siting in the yard my local sawmills for about 20 years (uncoverd) it seems to be rot free, my question is how long will it have to dry for before i can use it and is there a best way to dry it? I brought an off cut into my house and it cracked after a week of being indoors with no heating on, my lathe shop is in a celler and is a constant temp through out the year.
thanks
Anzo

I would have thought that it would have dried in that time, sap wise anyway? I would think that you will have to store it out of direct sun and covet the top so that air can circulate freely. The same as drying any logs really. I'm sure there are others that have a much better idea as to how than I do?

I have a few planks of it, about 1 1/2" X 9 X 14 or so. They came into Kemble, Gloucestershire on the very last flying Bristol Britannia. They were holding the aircraft batteries in place :shock: :shock: ! I retrieved them and fixed the batteries in properly. I was the electrician on it for 4 years before we moved over here..

This might be a way to make a few bob out of some of it?
http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/06/29/i ... 500-a-pop/

It is so dense, and given the 9" in section is never going to dry out fully.

Best bet is to open each piece up, cutting through the centres, or cut to the required dimensions if you want spindle stuff from it.

Or you could just sell it all to me and i will make all the problems go away :wink:

thanks all for the comments, i might be interested in selling some but in the mean timed i decide to turn a small bowl........bloody amazing is all i can say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when it gets hot with a gouge it turns a great purple color, hope it doesn't crack like the off cut i had in the house :eek:

Lovely stuff Anzo. You've been lucky to get it in log form like that. Show us some pics of the bowl. I'd be interested in buying some for a bit of hollowing. PM me if you decide to sell.

Does any body know how much african blackwood is worth? i have had a few requests to sell some. the local saw mills seems to think he has 3 more pallets there if anybody wants some he will sell you some, i'm hanging onto my pallet load don't think i'll be lucky enough to find more at the price i paid (FREE) :D. (the reason mine was free is because i did some work for them recantly)

If anyone goes to get some, I'd be interested in buying a bit.

It really depends on the size of the pieces and how clean it is. It is mostly traded in weight by the kilo in the round, the price of which depends on how much you buy and who from. Buy pallet quanaties from Nagels in germany or direct, or retail dimensioned squares bowl blanks etc. here at big prices.

Back