Affordable Quality Alternative To The Festool Plunge Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollys13

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be needing a plunge saw to use in the construction of my Paulk Mk 11 work bench come assembly table.
I see there is the Woodstar Divar 55 seems exact same as the Schappach PL 55. I've seen some posts on this forum on the Woodstar but no reviews as such.
Has anyone got or used the Woodstar 55 if so what did they think? Some of the tracks can be used with other saws again anyone know which ones, with which and any accessories? From what I've found so far, the Scheppach tracks are a lot cheaper than the Woodstar and I assume the track connectors would be interchangable between the two.

The Woodstar 55 and two lengths of 700mm track and connector, best price I've found new, Ebay buy now is £122.94 inc delivery
What other plunge saws might be worth a look in my price range?
Cheers

the lidl one must almost be due on sale- it has to be over 6 months since it was last offered. I got bored of waiting, so picked up a secondhand festoon :)

I saw a YouTube review on an Aldi or Lidl version he wasn't very impressed. I think he said was a cheaper version of the Scheppach or even made by Scheppach. I also saw a long YouTube review of the Woodstar by an Australian guy he couldn't fault it. Has the same power as the Festool and a riving knife.

The Titan from Screwfix is a very good buy, currently £89 Inc two 700 lengths of track. I have the Makita, and was very impressed with how the Titan compares.

IMO the only area that suffers a little is weight - it is noticeably heavier than the makita. Regardless, I'm tempted to get one simply for the track - two bits of Makita compatible tracks *and a perfectly serviceable saw* for less than a 1400 branded track, which is need to cut in half.

The titan is the same as the triton and very similar to the makita.

It runs on triton tracks for sure. Also has the scribe cut feature.

Alexfn":3ahez2et said:
The titan is the same as the triton and very similar to the makita.

It runs on triton tracks for sure. Also has the scribe cut feature.
1400W same as the Makita too.
Thanks.

Dont get the little scheppach one, its not great. I've now got the dewalt and love it.

Who's bought a cheap track saw? What make was it and was it any good?

Wondering if the cheap ones are sufficient for long, accurate cuts on sheet materials.

Another one I was looking at was the Kreg Rip-Cut. Looks a bit cheap as a few people on Amazon have reported the numbers "rubbing off", because they're just printed on, which is a bit pathetic!

Simon

Mod edit: threads merged.

Well that was confusing. Mod moved my post and I couldn't find it.

Anyway it seems that the reason I couldn't find much info was that I was searching for the term "track saw" instead of "plunge saw" - oh well! Noob error!

Just looked at the Titan version at Screwfix and that looks OK, although at 1.4m (2 x 700mm) it's a shame it can't handle full length cuts easily, and I couldn't find anywhere that sold longer or additional rails.

DigitalM":1d3s7yja said:
Well that was confusing. Mod moved my post and I couldn't find it.

Anyway it seems that the reason I couldn't find much info was that I was searching for the term "track saw" instead of "plunge saw" - oh well! Noob error!

Just looked at the Titan version at Screwfix and that looks OK, although at 1.4m (2 x 700mm) it's a shame it can't handle full length cuts easily, and I couldn't find anywhere that sold longer or additional rails.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listi ... ition=used

another titan/triton clone but comes with 1m of rack, add 1.5m of triton track and you can cut sheet no bother.

the one above plus titan, triton and makita will all run on the same rails

I have the Titan and it really is incredible value for money. I bought a Freud blade and 2x Makita 1400mm rails and it is spot on. The original blade is pretty good but the Freud makes it super clean cutting.

curtisrider":2fz19cch said:
The original blade is pretty good but the Freud makes it super clean cutting.

That sounds like a top recommendation, which one did you go for, had a quick look and there are loads!

Back