AEG Parts for life.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Most of you must have seen the advert in F&C, advertising the AEG free parts, service, and batteries for life. Well I only have two secondhand cordless drill/drivers. One is knackered, the other is rather old. So, should I get a couple, or is it to good to be true.

Comments, thoughts, or suggestions greatly received.

article here
But on the AEG sitethere is no mention of this offer. infact there it says
AEG will give a 3-year warranty for all registered electric tools. Rechargeable battery packs, battery chargers and any accessories supplied are not included in the extension of the warranty
There are people selling these

:eek:
AEG-lifetime-service-agreement.jpg

This is a Quote from the terms & conditions.
In addition to the standard Three Year Limited Service Warranty currently included with all AEG Professional Power Tools, purchasers of selected cordless power tools in the “Global Battery System” range may elect to receive a free Lifetime Service Agreement.

Here is a link to the site:- www.lifetimeserviceagreement.com

I avoid AEG in general: I had a sander of theirs (cheap 2nd hand machine from a boot sale) and went to a local approved dealer to get some replacement brushes. What should have been days turned into weeks, AEG apparently changed the part number, and finally I got the call to pick them up. I got them home and they were far too big, checking the part number of the brushes I ended up with on the web, it turned out they were for some kind of drill.

Then AEG re-shuffled and joined the Milwaukee/Ryobi group. I was recently tempted by the Milwaukee 5" variable speed grinder (cheapest I could find, and roughly as much power as the Fein at something like 1/2 of the price) and placed an order through a different local dealer, chosen from the Milwaukee list of Service Centers. "It usually takes 2-3 days, and will definitely be here in the next week," said the salesman. That was Thursday 7th Aug. I've chased them up once already, still no sign of the grinder today.

On the other hand, even my local B&Q has AEG cordless stuff on the shelf, it's affordable, and with the lifetime service agreement it is still a tempting proposition. I haven't tried any of it yet. I asked the same question as you some time back and the replies didn't lead me towards buying any of their cordless kit.

Cheers,

Neil

tigerturnings":358x0tsv said:
I avoid AEG in general: I had a sander of theirs (cheap 2nd hand machine from a boot sale) and went to a local approved dealer to get some replacement brushes. What should have been days turned into weeks, AEG apparently changed the part number, and finally I got the call to pick them up. I got them home and they were far too big, checking the part number of the brushes I ended up with on the web, it turned out they were for some kind of drill.

Then AEG re-shuffled and joined the Milwaukee/Ryobi group. I was recently tempted by the Milwaukee 5" variable speed grinder (cheapest I could find, and roughly as much power as the Fein at something like 1/2 of the price) and placed an order through a different local dealer, chosen from the Milwaukee list of Service Centers. "It usually takes 2-3 days, and will definitely be here in the next week," said the salesman. That was Thursday 7th Aug. I've chased them up once already, still no sign of the grinder today.

On the other hand, even my local B&Q has AEG cordless stuff on the shelf, it's affordable, and with the lifetime service agreement it is still a tempting proposition. I haven't tried any of it yet. I asked the same question as you some time back and the replies didn't lead me towards buying any of their cordless kit.

Cheers,

Neil

I've just bought a 5" Flex variable speed grinder and I'm very pleased with it. I bought it from stock at Apex Grange, really helpful guys.

Thanks guys.

I am tempted, with the lifetime service agreement an all. But it is a lot of money for a questionable item. :-k I'm just not sure.

I would ask them to confirm in writing the terms and conditions of the deal. If it sounds good, then go for it. If it breaks twice, sell your third replacement on eBay for a profit! :)

ATB Gary,

You may be too late!!!!!

B&Q told me that the deadline for registration was September, after which the lifetime offer would no longer be available to new purchases (which may be why the aeg.com website only mentions 3 year guarantees. I don't know if that was beginning of the month, end or somewhere in between. In a mad panic, I drove to the workshop this Sunday morning to collect my latest purchases to register them today, the last day of August. Good news for me, the online registration worked.

Will AEG honour their guarantee? I have no reason to believe they won't. You have to keep all documentation and take the tool with your birth certificate or passport to a service centre to prove it really is you. Is it worth buying the tool in your child's name????

B&Q were running special deals on the drill drivers two months ago, which is over now. The 18volt was for sale at about £150, the 12 volt was only £60. Thinking that the batteries for life was too good a chance to miss, I bought an 18volt jigsaw (£200), an 18volt drill/driver, and two 12 volt drill drivers.

The motors are surely all steel construction. They weigh plenty and the brakes have some kick! The AEG 12volt is now my favourite (I am a namby pamby and the latest tool usually becomes my favourite of the moment). But I have plenty to compare it with, for in the workshop, we have: Makita, 12 volt, 14.4 volt, 18 volt; Black & Decker 12volt; DeWalt 14.4 volt; Bosch 9 volt, 12volt, 14.4 volt: Ryobi 14.4volt; Erbauer 14.4volt; and Macalister 14.4volt. These last two were excellent bargains (Screwfix and B&Q respectively and £40 and £30) but the DeWalt cost me near enough £200 years ago.

I find the AEG 18 volt a bit of a beast and it now takes pride of place as the most powerful hammer drill in our workshop since the batteries of the old 24volt drill have packed in. Rubbish, dead batteries, yes, we have a few in the workshop. We have a shelf that now holds 30 dead drill driver batteries, from B&Q's Performance drills to quality Bosch, Makita, and Ryobi lifeless batteries. The death of batteries is such a problem that I don't dare use the Macalister drill because the batteries are used for the nailer that came with it. When the batteries die, the nailer will become useless, so the drill driver just sits on the shelf.

So, in short, free batteries for life . . . it has to be worth the gamble.

all the best,
Ross Samson

Someone I work with bought the drill you are talking about.

I looked at it and its very large and heavy compared with my more powerful Makita Li-ion drill but other than that it seems ok for the money and you should never have to buy another drill ever again :shock:

ive just come back from b&q this morning where i just bought a 18v aeg for £99.98 (on offer from £199) , got home and registered it for the life time warranty and it works. even if aeg dont confirm it it still comes with a 3 year warranty.

it is a bsb18stx and it comes with two 18v 2ah nicad batteries. its heavier than my other drills but seems well built, comes in a strong case with metal clips.

my decorator has a aeg cordless drill, hes had it for years and years, and its the only cordless drill he has ever had!

Back