Advice - repair a finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sportique

Established Member
Reaction score
I could do with some advice please.

I have "acquired" this small hall unit - the top surface needs some attention (the rest of it is OK).

I believe it is chipboard with a thin mahogany veneer maybe circa 80's?

Before I do anything, what should I try? The damage looks like what I call "blooming", but probably isn't! There are watermarks also. Maybe it is all watermarking?

I don't really want to take the finish off.

How should I proceed?

IMGP3119.jpg

Thanks

Dave

The blooming is moisture trapped under the surface :wink:
Now if you dont fancy stripping it and starting again I myself would flash it off, using methylated spirits in an egg cup dip your fingertip in the ms and let it drip onto the bloomed surface(start cautiously) and then light it with a match or wooden spill it will burn like sambucca does and you will see the white disappear now blow the flame out and move on to another part until its all removed, it may sound horrendous but it really does work and you could easily go through a box of matches.
Once done just give the surface a wax polish all over

get some 0000 wire wool (liberon make is best) and some meths. Dab some meths of the wool so its damp not wet, rub as hard as required over a leading edge of the stain until the stain dissapears then work your way across the stain until its all gone keep wire wool damp or even a bit wet. Dry Wire wool 0000 complete top afterwards and wax - always work with grain :)

The above assuming the finish is lacquer. If french polished, be ultra careful not to disolve the finish with the meths...

Matt

thanks, another useful tip.

I must admit I cannot identify the finish :? :roll: - hence my hesitation. :oops:

Dave

The Victorians used a mixture of cream and cigar ash to polish out most white blooms. I've had success with a green washing pad dampened with danish oil. (The last top I did was an old oak top, which had a mixture of wax and polishes ontop, it had been stained by having a hot pan sat on a towel on it).

Sportique":3oo3lwlo said:
Matt

thanks, another useful tip.

I must admit I cannot identify the finish :? :roll: - hence my hesitation. :oops:

Dave

test the finish by dabbing some meths onto it. If the finish softens quite quickly it'll be shellac based. The item is repro so if shellac finish it will have been repolished in its lifetime. If when wetting with meths, the finish doesnt soften or go sticky it will prob be spray lacquer and will therefore be very forgiving when you rub the damp meths wire wool over it.... ie do what I said in my post and you'll prob get a good result. Setting fire to meths on a polished finish is all good but if the finish is wax or shellac based, it'll burn a hole in it and if you're really careless, you'll set the house on fire or worse :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10506074

Sorry matt but I'd just like to point out that the ms does nt burn its the fumes given off that burn generating the heat that draws the damp out

Matt@

thanks for the help - I tested the finish and the ms didn't soften it, so presume it to be lacquer.

Here is the result of my first attempt:

IMGP3132Small.jpg

Quite successful - but on very close inspection there are still some very slight signs, so maybe another session is needed.

YB - never quite had enough nerve to try your method - but I will keep it in mind for later use.

Many thanks to all for your contributions, for me, advice such as this is one of the great rewards of UKW. Strength to our arm I say

Dave

Sometimes treating "like with like" works. If it is a modern spray finish with a trapped water stain, dribbling boiling water onto the bloom then immediately wiping it off can work, or using a medium iron onto an old hand towel/paper towel, (but not for too long it'll stick) Both can evaporate the trapped moisture.

Back