Advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulie

Reaction score
I do a bit of turning on a small lathe, making fishing priests from scrap harwoods I collect. (Im a joiner) I need to spene a biit of money that I dont really have on upgrading my tools etc. I have just been working in a loft, and was given permission by the new owner of the house to take what I wanted from the lfot to clear it. There was a bundle wrapped in a newspaper dated 1931, that containe several lengths of 2x2 hardwood, marked Jap Oak. I entend to keep a few lengths, but was cosidering cutting them and ebaying short lengths. Would this be advisable? I have no idea of the value and cant find out, I thought maybe some of you experienced fellas could advise me.
Paul.

if possible post up some pictures and maybe some forumites might be interested.

adidat

Thank you for your replies. I will post some pics if I can work out how, If anyone is interested in any make me what you think is a fair offer. Thanks again.

Paulie":gyv1830y said:
Thank you for your replies. I will post some pics if I can work out how, If anyone is interested in any make me what you think is a fair offer. Thanks again.
Aditat, for some reason I cant reply to your message. They are 3 ft long, 2x2 mate.
Paul

From a dim and distant greycell......Japanese oak was one of the few hardwoods available to woodworkers in UK (Europe?) both between the World Wars and after WW2. This at a time when the homegrown variety was in short supply.
Which may well account for it's presence.

So it's probably not particularly rare, or even particularly desirable, just perhaps a bit behind the times as it were! Of course, just cos it's wrapped in a 1931 newspaper doesn't mean the wood dates from then....

Having said all of that, Japanese oak these days can be in short supply due to pest/infestation problems....funny old world!

Back