Advice please: M/board/p'cessor - Temporarily Solved Thanks!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
My old desktop PC has expired. I suspect it is just the graphics card that won't send a signal to the monitor, because the machine seems to switch on OK and still makes the usual welcoming noises.

However, I can't see anything on the monitor (Which I know does work). In case it isn't that simple a remedy, does anyone know if I can still buy a new Motherboard and CPU for Windows XP? If so any idea what to look for!

I can pull PCs to pieces and reassemble okay, but I am ignorant of model types, and all the numbers and letters they use to identify these products.

I would just buy a new desktop PC, but they all come with Windows 7. That's not a big issue, but my laptop is set up with Windows 7, and most of my expensive programs (Eg. Photoshop) won't install to it! Hence the desire to stay with XP if possible. (It means buying a new SATA drive too I guess, so I can salvage my files, using an enclosure for the old drive. :cry: )

Please don't say I should have backed-up. I know that of course, but the backups just go to the hard disk anyhow! My pen drives were full too!

TIA

John :)

Hi John.
This is not a direct answer to your question, sorry. However you mention the 'Graphics card', is this separate? If it is you may be able to swap it for another. If the graphics card is part of the motherboard, then it may be possible to add a separate one to drive the monitor.

Ain't it a sod when we have to refurbish a Pc in a similar way to an old lump of woodworking cast iron to keep it working? I too have to keep an Xp pc working, it's getting tougher.

xy

I'm 99% sure but hopefully pvt Ryan will check this when he comes through, but I don't think a computer will boot up with out a graphics card or if the onboard graphics chip isn't working.

Have you checked all your connections to make sure nothings come loose, tried another monitor the usual quick checks?

Edit: Does it do any beeping on start up because the number of beeps can sometimes indicate something is missing?

Thanks fellas.

The beeps are as normal when starting up. For a few weeks now, I have had this problem, but a reset button press usually worked and the PC eventually started. Now though, the reset button doesn't work any more. I do suspect the graphics card for this reason. I can change that easily enough as it's a plug-in for the motherboard; provided I know what card to look for!

I think this is all the problem is, but just in case it isn't so, I want to try for a motherboard and processor, that will allow me to stay with XP Pro. (Which for me has been the most reliable version since Win 98!)

Incidentally, I can't even get a display of the blue screen setup programs, which would enable me to switch on the on-board graphics. So again more evidence that it might be the graphics card that is shot.

Ta...
John

Thanks Grandad...
I have got this up and running again. I had to re-seat the graphics card but it is an intermittent fault, and I think it's on the motherboard, as the sound keeps dropping off too, requiring a reboot. The graphics card is quite a powerful one, installed so I could play a golf game. (Yeah I know. Silly big kid!) But for the moment it is working. Looks like I will have to arrange to build another PC though, unless the m/board can be diagnosed and repaired. Thanks for the help to you and everyone else who chipped in
Obliged

John :lol:

I have just replaced my PC after my old one I built about 7yrs ago died.

From reading Which, I bought a ready made from Novatech with a Quad Core i5 Processor (I haven't kept up with all the latest standards/ compatibleness etc).
You can purchase them without software and I am pretty sure XP will work with them, but I opted for Windows 7?

I also bought a new 24" monitor and to test it out a copy of Crysis 2 - awesome!

Rod

The latest iteration of my desktop PC has an Asus P7 motherboard with an Intel I7 core processor.

It runs Windows 7 but I have XP virtual machine setup to run my older software, like AutoCAD Lite 2000, that I can't justify the cost of upgrading.

The setup works well although XP seems very clunky now!!

Thanks Peter.
I didn't realise you could have a 'virtual' set-up.
I am happy with XP though, and touch-timber, mine is back up again, although it is still temperamental at boot-up!

John :)

I am a little confused here not knowing much about computers. Does this mean that if I bought a new computer or motherboard I couldn't re -install Windows XP on it now? I have stayed with XP due to the fact that it won't run early software, which I use a lot of and think I will have to have a new computer in the near future. I had assumed that you could just take off the installed Windows 7 and replace it with XP? :?

Any new computer would run windows XP no problem. But like someone said further up Windows 7 comes with an excellent virtual Windows XP machine. So you run it and a new windows appears that is exactly like windows XP and runs all the old programs etc perfectly.

Thanks everyone.

I have the machine up and running again.
However, it still has this hang up sometimes on starting, and the signal won't get through to the monitor. So I have to press the restart button.. It can go for weeks working OK, and then suddenly the fault appears again. I traced it to either the graphics card, or to the graphics card slot on the motherboard.
If it goes crunch again, I shall put the graphics and sound cards in different slots, and see if that has an effect.
Next a new graphics card trial. If that doesn't work, it's a new PC. Then a de-install of Windows 7, and install XP Pro again!
Once again, thanks for all the tips and help.
I am obliged to you all

Regards
John :D

I#ve come across the problem of 'intermittant' graphics cards a few times in the past. In all cases it could be temporarily solved by removing and reseating the graphics card - it seemed that in some cases the metal surface of the connectors on the card or in the socket became oxidised. The classic method of cleaning was to use a pencil eraser on the card connections, but we moved on to using a contact cleaner solution that removed the oxide layer and left a protective film on the connectors. This also allows simple cleaning of the connectors in the socket on the motherboard. The stuff we used was Electrolube Contact Cleaner Lubricant 2X.

Misterfish

misterfish":2c0abbk4 said:
I#ve come across the problem of 'intermittant' graphics cards a few times in the past. In all cases it could be temporarily solved by removing and reseating the graphics card - it seemed that in some cases the metal surface of the connectors on the card or in the socket became oxidised. The classic method of cleaning was to use a pencil eraser on the card connections, but we moved on to using a contact cleaner solution that removed the oxide layer and left a protective film on the connectors. This also allows simple cleaning of the connectors in the socket on the motherboard. The stuff we used was Electrolube Contact Cleaner Lubricant 2X.

Misterfish

Many Thanks MF.

I'll investigate.
Regards
John :D

If you eventually go for a new PC with Windows 7 then the "XP Mode" does not work with the "Home" versions only Professional and above.

Looking into it, I found some blurb that said you can download "Virtual PC" from Microsoft and then run your copy of XP within it.

Wish I had found this out before I bought CS5 to replace my CS2!! :evil:

CS2 running on my Mac.

Rod

Back