advice on (very) cheap scroll saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I have just gotten into scrolling my self and i have purchased a Sealey SM1302. so far it is a nice bit of kit, fast blade changing and can take pinned and pinless blades, variable speed and i just modded it with a footswitch. Granted i have only used it for around 10 hours total run time but i think it is a good entry level and it was 95 quid from amazon.

Mark

markblue777":2lgaujka said:
Hi,
I have just gotten into scrolling my self and i have purchased a Sealey SM1302. so far it is a nice bit of kit, fast blade changing and can take pinned and pinless blades, variable speed and i just modded it with a footswitch. Granted i have only used it for around 10 hours total run time but i think it is a good entry level and it was 95 quid from amazon.

Mark

Looks like that is basically the same saw as the Jet JSS-16.

Martin.

Philip n":32hicgy1 said:
By the way, those Jose Luis Romanillos guitars are beautiful.
you think? i really love them, his rosettes are one of the most beautiful things i´ve seen on a guitar. and the details and body shape are elegance in itself. one of my "guitar heroe, so to speak.

cheers,
miguel.

Miguel

Do you have a router? if so then cutting both the headstock and the finger board could be achieved using different templates.

The headstock you have linked to couldn't be made with just the router, but should you wish to design your own something similar could be made, the finger board would require you to make a simple a circle jig.

Using jigs and a bearing profile cutter would mean every headstock and finger board were identical and cut quickly.
Perhaps worth thinking about.

Baldhead

thanks for the tip, but i really don´t like using routers - too noisy and all that torque and power on a small device gives me some itches. somehow the idea of a scroll saw seems more relaxed to me, but maybe i´m wrong. of course, i could keep doing this stuff by hand, but i´d rather focus on the stuff i really like doing - like sweeping the shop. :)

all the best,
Miguel.

just to let you folks know, i have received the saw and, in spite of my complete lack of comparison and experience, i´m quite pleased with this saw (at least on a first impression). Cast iron body (which makes it weigh over 20 Kg), cast aluminum table, the whole thing seems to be robust and solidly built. On the higher speed setting it cut easily through 1 inch thick spanish cedar and 3/8 inch ebony.
Still haven´t changed blades though...

all the best,
Miguel.

Miguel,

Glad to hear that the Proxxon meets your needs. Any scroll saw that cuts through 1" timber easily is definitely a good purchase.

Back