Advice on Refurbishing a Pillar Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scruffmeister

Reaction score
Hi all - I have acquired an old pillar drill. It works OK but is a bit rusty. Not having any real experience working with metal, could someone give me some advice on the best way to remove/clean up the rust please? It might also might want a lick of paint on the base, is there anything particular I should look out for in this area? Thanks!

drill2.png

drill1.png

That doesn't look too bad to me from the photos. I suspect I'd tackle it with fine (400 grit or so) wet and dry and a sanding block, then wire wool.

You don't need or even particularly want a mirror finish, if it feels smooth to the hand and things slide on the surface that's fine, the less intervention you make the better you preserve the existing flatness.

For the final finishing embed some green polishing compound (as used on a sharpening strop) in the wire wool to polish up the high points on the surface, that gives a degree of rust resistance to the actual contact surface. Follow with the rust barrier of your choice. I tend to use vaseline but it needs to be replied essentially after every session.

Last edited:
Back