Advice on purchasing a couple of tools and sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homerjh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, bit of a break since my last post, a slight reorganisation in work in july means i now am back in uni and doing teacher training so less time than before (was a work from home IT consultant), and the lathe has not been touched, mainly as the tools need sharpening after a couple of unsuccessful attempts, the tools were more asking the wood to move rather than cutting it.

So with a birthday coming up and christmas, looking to re-start the wood turning, clear the workshop of the rubbish and get it back up and running.

so this was the thread of tools,

what-are-these-for-mystery-items-that-come-with-the-lathe-t105857.html

and general opinion was out of everything pictured i have a serviceable Bowl gauge, spindle gauge and parting tool. there are other odds and sods but not interested in them.

So from this I gather I need a roughing gauge to round off for initial working and something to sharpen them all with, mainly to have a play and then do mushrooms and that sort of thing, as working with a load of branches that are dry from a few years back.

Any advice on what to buy for sharpening, i know its discussed to death but not been on for a while. Circa <£100 and ideally something that doesnt need a great deal of fettling each time and relatively good to get an edge on.

As said, only starting so dont need anything major, but got the 3 main tools, need to get a roughing gauge (sorry, was using the bowl gauge but it worked) and if i find the need for something different (ie a smaller gauge) then will look at it then.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Record-Power-R ... 22+grinder
is a fair grinder at a fair price (disclaimer - I haven't searched). Plenty of plans here and elsewhere for making jigs. Using a bowl gouge for roughing is fine in the sense it's not dangerous in any way, which is usually a downside if using the wrong tool.
Don't ignore carbon steel tools - often you can pick them up for next to nothing and there's nothing wrong with them, they just don't hold their edge for as long.

Back