Advice on 'jammed' ELU power planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wills-mill

Established Member
Reaction score
A year or so back I was given a tough old hand power planer made by Elu, fairly well used as a site tool. The idea being that as I'm usually fairly handy with repairs I would sort it out, but obviously it's sat in its case and not been out at all....

I'v just had a fiddle and found that the belt and motor side of things are fine, but the planer block itself is almost jammed up solid and moves in a very 'treacly' way. It doesn't seem to be dust and shavings related, and I can't see any evidence of overheated bearings, so I'm after some ideas before I dive in and scatter components everywhere.

Are Elus fitted with a brake?

Not aware of any braking on these tools. I'd remove the drive belt and then rotate the cutter by hand - highly likely that one of the ball bearings has failed. Almost certainly a standard part you can buy from a bearing factor or online. My favourite supplier of bearings by post is Arc Euro trade. Google will find them.

good luck

Bob

Definately no brake on them, mine is around 16 years old never failed me yet. Though I did get the EHL65 by Festool a couple of months ago and the Elu hasn't seen the light of day since :lol:

Sounds like the bearings are at fault, maybe due to pine resin, thats what usually knackers my router cutter bearings. Try soaking the bearing in turps to see if it frees up.

Rob.

I would not soak bearing in solvents. This will wash any remaining lubricant away. Replace with new bearings - they are really cheap from bearing suppliers. Do NOT buy them as manufacturers spares as they will be very over priced.

As an example I have just ordered two small bearings 15 x 5 x 5 mm with rubber shields (the dearest type) today for delivery tomorrow. £1.12p plus vat for the pair. The planer ones will be a little larger than this but almost certainly less than a fiver for the pair.

Bob

I just sold my 15 year old Elu planer but I rememmber taking it apart a few times and they are very simple so I would imagine it can only be the bearings just get some new ones in there and it should be fine.

Back