Advice on a 1st table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Long-time lurker finally stepping out of the shadows here.

I've been a hand-tool improviser for many years, and now the boring stuff on the house is finally coming to a close I've been thinking about starting to get something more bench-based and less bodged so I can crack on with some furniture making. The other thought in my head was that if my sister were to have another baby I'd make her a changing table as the last time there were complications that made stairs very difficult. And this weekend she's told me she's pregnant again.

So now that I've suckered you in with the sob story, I'd like your collective wisdom on a table saw. My very little knowledge of what I want comes courtesy of Norm, but without the studio budget. Damn! I've read good things about the Axminster TS-200 and the Kity 419, and these are around the price bracket I'm thinking of, but second hand for the Kity, and was wondering if there was anything else I should be considering. I've seen a Kity that looks a bit rusty and is missing everthing but the stand and the extension table, but don't know if they are tough as old boots, or if I should look out for a well-looked after example.

I'd either like the best of the budget stuff to learn what I need in a more expensive model, or a mid-range that is stands out as a good allrounder that will last a good long while.

Welcome to the forum.

A tablesaw is a very useful tool and my advice would be if you intend to stay with your woodwork interests for a long time to purchase the best model you can afford. They all cut timber, its usually the depth of cut that is the pricing range. The heavier the tablesaw the more costly also applies.

Your would be advised to get a saw that has mitre gauge slots, some new saws do not have this and greatly restricts their usefulness.

I'm going to be ordering the Charwood W650 from Yandles on Friday. It's had a couple of excellent reviews in the press and is loosely based around the K419 format, but with bigger capacities. What's interesting though, is that the footprint is actually smaller that the Kity which makes it even better for my 'shop...see Andy King's review here - Rob

Thanks guys. I hadn't realised that some models skimp on a mitre slot. I'll be looking out for that as I'll want to make picture frames at some point. I read the mitre review last night and will spot for one in the £60 mark early on I think.
Good read on the W650 too. A bit pricier than I want to pay, but it all helps me gauge what I want from a saw.

What is the general thinking on the neglect and abuse a Kity can take? If one doesn't look like it's been looked after, should it be avoided, or could it be a bargain with a new fence, mitre and treatment to the bed?

Red":18ww31a0 said:
Thanks guys. I hadn't realised that some models skimp on a mitre slot. I'll be looking out for that as I'll want to make picture frames at some point. I read the mitre review last night and will spot for one in the £60 mark early on I think.
Good read on the W650 too. A bit pricier than I want to pay, but it all helps me gauge what I want from a saw.

What is the general thinking on the neglect and abuse a Kity can take? If one doesn't look like it's been looked after, should it be avoided, or could it be a bargain with a new fence, mitre and treatment to the bed?
A mitre slot isn't a prerequisite to make picture frames. I've made dozens...cut the mitres by hand on the bench and then shoot them in with a mitre shooting board, which I find a far more accurate way of making two identical pairs of sides. I had a K419 for years...nice little saw, with the emphasis on 'little', hence the reason for going for the W650. Fwiw, I never used the mitre slot for anything on my Kity - Rob

there are many more activities that a mitre slot is used for which would be a great loss if it was not available.
The industry are working a fast one by trying to eliminate that option, it means perhaps purchasing more dedicated machines without this option. :wink:

If you look at the Charnwood W650 and the K419 for that matter DW, you'll see that the fence on the slider is adjustable anyway so mitres can be cut that way...if needed. Slots in table saw surfaces aren't really needed unless there's a specific use for them such as using a dedicated jig (which can sometimes involve removing the crown guard) - Rob

I think I'll still look for a mitre slot so I have it.

What about durability? Is a neglected Kity just in need of a spruce up, or to be avoided?

Red":3duhznij said:
I think I'll still look for a mitre slot so I have it.

What about durability? Is a neglected Kity just in need of a spruce up, or to be avoided?

Red, I can assure you you wont regret that decision, the things you can do with a mitre slot are innumerable and give so much satisfaction over the years.

Red":3hhld0l6 said:

Hi Red, I would def' recommend A saw with mitre slots,you can then build A sled which comes in so handy . I bought A De-walt 745 portable or bench-top saw about A year ago, there was A great plan in 'woodworking plans and projects' for A stand with cupboard , dust drawer and castors designed for that very saw about A week later...I'm very happy with it and the only thing I had to buy was the castors as I had plenty of ply and mdf cut off's lying about so don't rule out A bench-top model ,And make that cross cut sled you wont regret it ! As for reconditioning any second hand saw I personally would avoid it unless it's something simple,but then again my engineering skills aren't up to much! Happy shopping . Phil

Phil

You solved my problem. I will order up a desalt 745!

Years ago I started with a new DeWalt cabinet makers type saw and I loved the thing. But alas I had to sell it when I moved to the uk. Now I am back woodworking and need a good unit.

C

I thought I'd give an update to help anyone stumbling across this thread in the future. In the end I took the advice of someone and went for a rail saw. There are only 3 to choose from really, Festool, Makita or De-Walt. I couldn't afford the Festool for the few advantages it gave, so after deliberation I went for the DeWalt because they do a kit with an extra rail and connector that worked out a little cheaper, and because there are more accessories for the DeWalt.

This is my first weekend using it and I already love it. Once you've run the saw along the rail to cut back the rubber edge you can just place it down on a pencil mark and rip away. The only thing it is going to get marked down on compared to a table saw is repeat cuts, but I've already done this with a carefully set up stop block. I'm very pleased with it and would recommend thinking about it to any others considering a table saw.

Latest posts

Back