Advice for purchased Kity bandsaw 612

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aspire53

Reaction score
My first post to this wonderful forum.
Been reading for quite awhile and learned a lot along the way. Many thanks ahead. :D
Just purchased a used old kity 612 in fine working order. What do I need to do and what to avoid to maintain in good condition?
Any other tips will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Avi

Buy your blades from Ian at TUFFSAWS.
this wont be the last time you get this advice.

I am a big fan old Kity machines and own a 613 bandsaw.
+1 for tuffsaws blades and just set it up properly keep it clean and enjoy it.

IF this has flat tyres like the model 613, adjust the blade tracking so that the teeth run just off the edge of the tyres.
Tracking for flat tyres is different from the tracking you would use on a bandsaw with crowned tyres. If you didn't get a manual with your machine the correct setting may not be obvious and would be worth checking.

Great, I am not sure whether it has a flat tire. The blade is laying on a white layer which I am not sure what it is made of. I tried to attache a pic that I took the morning but as new participant I am not allowed to. I also cannot respond to the PM.

I do see that the previous owner had set it up such that the teeth are just protruding forward from the contact layer. He gave me a quick demonstration and it worked just fine. The blade is old and needs to be sharpened, but that's it.

I certainly need a new blade. After reading a bit I understand that a ¼" blade with 6 tlp is a good start for general use. Should I consider other types of blade as well?

Tooth pitch depends on thickness of material. Minimum of 3 teeth in contact at all times. But the blade should be as coarse as possible consistent with above. One blade will not do all jobs!

Blade choice depends entirely on what you want to do. Ripping a plank in half lengthways and making a tight curved bandsaw box are whole different ball games.
heres one of many tutorials available online.
https://knowledge.axminster.co.uk/axcal ... aw-blades/

Dont bother getting your blade resharpened, it will never be as sharp as a new one. I know, I've tried.

Be aware that when your nice new Tuffsaws blade arrives you will need to turn it "inside out" , which can be a little bit scary the first couple of times you have to do it. For some reason the Kity bandsaws are "mirror image" to most others.

Welcome to the forum!

Rob, fellow 612 owner

Thats the first time I have seen that. Are you sure yours isnt being worked backwards? (hammer) =D>

If you would like a pdf of the manual, make a few posts until you are allowed to do a PM and then send me your email address.

Blockplane":37ywq3us said:
Be aware that when your nice new Tuffsaws blade arrives you will need to turn it "inside out" , which can be a little bit scary the first couple of times you have to do it. For some reason the Kity bandsaws are "mirror image" to most others.

Welcome to the forum!

Rob, fellow 612 owner

Good observation Rob. The later model 613 isn't "inside out" - it's the same as all the other small bandsaws I've used - but unless most of the internet is wrong, your post has made me realise that the 612 IS reversed compared to the majority. Neat !

Thank you all for the invaluable information.

I attached a pic of the current setup of the blade. Is this inside out orientation?

Kity 612.jpg

Attachments

• Kity 612.jpg
    Kity 612.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 451
When the motor is running and the blade is moving, the teeth have to be moving and pointing down to the table to push the wood. If its pulling the wood upwards, its the wrong way round.
Usually the frame is to the left, but apparently yours is reversed (no idea why)

Aspire's photo definately the right way round :D

I would imagine that when Kity designed this one, they were planning on using it in a combination a la K5, and the direction of rotation is to suit the other machines in the setup.

This is a sceen shot from the manual. Same machine and orientation for both the large table with other machines (as I have) and as a stand alone.

Attachments

• 612diagram.JPG
    612diagram.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 64
When I purchased my Kity combo machine there was an option to have either a 612 band saw or a table saw. I opted for the table saw.

Latest posts

Back