adhesive veneer film

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieB

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought this might get a bit more response here than in the scrolling forum....

I have some adhesive veneer film, the kind that you heat with a medium iron to melt and attach wood veneer to a ground. Anyone ever used this for adhering anything other than veneer to a plywood substrate? I have been using spray mount for attaching photos and artwork to ply for cutting wooden jigsaws and came across a website that recommended dry mounting by a photographer to a ply substrate. Since dry mounting machines are expensive (even on e-bay) I wondered if veneer adhesive film would do the same job. I cannot see any reason why it wouldnt work in a technical sense, but if anyone has done it and ruined their image either because of the glue seeping through the image, or not adhering properly to a paper surface etc it will save me ruining my image to know before I try.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I used to use Ademco dry mounting tissue to mount photographs using a heated dry mounting press. I've also used Gluefilm to iron on veneer. The dry mounting tissue and the Gluefilm seemed very similar to me and they both work the same way (the glue melts and adheres as you heat it), so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just protect the face of the photograph and do a few tests on scrap pictures first and to experiment with temperatures.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Steve,

Many years ago I used to use dry mounting tissue for mounting photographs, but couldn't afford a dry mounting press. I used to cover the face of the photo with a clean piece of thin paper and use an ordinary iron set on a medium heat. Worked fine for me back then and didn't damage the photos (black & white or colour). It worked best for me by moving the iron very slowly over the photo. Don't know if it would work with modern "inkjet" photos - although if they are printed out on a paper substrate rather than a plastic one I don't see why it shouldn't.

tekno.mage

That was quick! Many thanks Paul and Tekno, will give it a try and see how I get on. The image I am planning to cut is actually a greetings card so I will use the back of the card as a trial before adhering the front for cutting.

Steve.

Just one tip, Steve, which is more relevant when mounting large (20"x16") photographs using a dry mounting press, but might be relevant. Go over the photograph/picture and the substrate with the heated iron and protective paper first to ensure that any moisture is dried out. When you heat photographs/paper they shrink a little as the moisture dries out and if you have to mount the picture by heating it in sections, you will find that some of it has shrunk and the rest hasn't, which can lead to creases.

One other tip. When dry mounting photographs, it's normal to place the dry mounting tissue (cut to exact size) on the back of the picture and "tack" the tissue to the picture with a tacking iron (looks like a soldering iron but with a larger head). In plain English, just draw the iron lightly over the corners so as to stick the tissue to the picture so that when you place it on the mount and in the press it doesn't all move. You can do the same with the tip of a domestic iron.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks Paul, given it a try tonight and I can confirm it works nicely. The only problem I have had is the card I was using was glossy and the heat has damaged the gloss. A lower setting next time should work better. The card has stuck nicely with the adhesive.

Thanks for the advice,

Steve.

Back