activating wi fi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
ok so this is as we all say for a friend. however it is true, since the sad death of barry, i have been looking for other sources of computer info.

my friends have moved from ntl broadband to bt hub broadband.
and they bought a new laptop to work it with.
so they have installed the bt home hub using the usb cable, but now they want to use the wi fi, however every time that they take the wires off, they get asked to turn on the wi fi device. however, no external switches so i assume that there is some way through control panel or whatever that you activate your wifi..

can anyone help and point me in the right direction please???

paul
:wink:
who has a hub, but not wifi on my desktop.

paul, usually a hub, or wireless access point has a 'control panel' which you access via your web browser using an IP Adresss, usually something like 10.0.0.1 (as an example - it should say what it is in the manual). From their you can set and change paramenters/options etc.. It should be here that you can turn in the wifi.

Also, I know it sounds stupid, but makesure the computer is connected via a cable initially while you do this, and also that the computer you wish to connect has the correct wireless card installed, there are differnet protocols, and older cards may not be compatible.

Hope that helps a little bit.

One last thing, again, apologies if you know this already, but when you do turn on the wifi makesure you setup the security options as tight as possible using all the available security features that the hub offers.

hi byron thanks, why are you up so late??????

anyway since it is a brand new machine i hope the card is up to date.
however, i will remind them to set it up with the cables attached.

ta mate
paul :wink:

HI Paul,

This is quite early for me :) i'm a bit of an insomniac and now that the cricket has finished there's nothing left to send me to sleep. There's something about Geoffry Boycots voice that sends me right off, or is englands batting? :)

Good luck with the wifi.

When the network cable is still plugged in, open a browser and enter address of 192.168.1.254.

You will be at the admin page, change user to administrator and then enable the wireless network.

The hub software sucks but persist and it will work. Some bright bunch of BT folks think they are better than the Networking Router folks so yo have to deal with a bastardised router software. A real hack!

Cheers.

engineer one":1p0cv0xz said:
every time that they take the wires off, they get asked to turn on the wi fi device.

On our laptops, in the bottom right of the screen, amongst all the little icons, like time, MSN messenger etc, is one for the WiFi, right click to enable, from a small pop up menu.

Adam

Latest posts

Back