Just found this

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
I have been searching for an external SSD for a while now and spent a great deal of time researching. It seems as though an NVMe with the SSD is the way to go just for sheer speed. For those that have no idea what I am yapping on about I am/was looking for a fast external drive for my computer and Mrs G's laptop and we wanted one that we could use my plugging it in with the USB. To get the increase in speeds you need to plug it in at the blue coloured USB point on your computer/desktop.

Most NVMe external drives with a 1TB storage hover around the £250 mark give or take roughly £70 with the majority being in excess of £200. The differences on price between Ebay and Amazon appears to be minimal until that is I found this little offer tucked away, It is a WD 1TB Passport portable at a reduced price, as you can see the price has been reduced by Amazon from £221.99 to £143.99 which in itself is a great offer, but ........... IF you are happy to take one without the packaging and in a gold colour you can get it for £82.99 ................ Amazon state it is brand new but without packaging so that will enable it to come with the 5 year warranty, I am waiting for delivery of mine sometime today (Prime delivery only ordered it at 9pm last night) I do not know if it is a "Prime members" offer only or available to non Prime members but it is an absolute bargain. To find it click on the link and scroll down to the "New and used" Link, click that and bullseye, Bernie the bolt has hit the wire 😜

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08F2G1XPH/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Edit:- It is also the new generation (Latest madels)

Last edited:
I have been searching for an external SSD for a while now and spent a great deal of time researching. It seems as though an NVMe with the SSD is the way to go just for sheer speed. For those that have no idea what I am yapping on about I am/was looking for a fast external drive for my computer and Mrs G's laptop and we wanted one that we could use my plugging it in with the USB. To get the increase in speeds you need to plug it in at the blue coloured USB point on your computer/desktop.

Most NVMe external drives with a 1TB storage hover around the £250 mark give or take roughly £70 with the majority being in excess of £200. The differences on price between Ebay and Amazon appears to be minimal until that is I found this little offer tucked away, It is a WD 1TB Passport portable at a reduced price, as you can see the price has been reduced by Amazon from £221.99 to £143.99 which in itself is a great offer, but ........... IF you are happy to take one without the packaging and in a gold colour you can get it for £82.99 ................ Amazon state it is brand new but without packaging so that will enable it to come with the 5 year warranty, I am waiting for delivery of mine sometime today (Prime delivery only ordered it at 9pm last night) I do not know if it is a "Prime members" offer only or available to non Prime members but it is an absolute bargain. To find it click on the link and scroll down to the "New and used" Link, click that and bullseye, Bernie the bolt has hit the wire 😜

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08F2G1XPH/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is sold by "InnovativeDeals" not Amazon. From feedback it looks like they might be returns imported from Europe so doubt these come with any warranty.

This is sold by "InnovativeDeals" not Amazon. From feedback it looks like they might be returns imported from Europe so doubt these come with any warranty.

I have just checked and as it is being sold "As New" it does have the full manufacturers warranty or the standard manufacturers warranty which is 5 years with these. Many thanks for pointing it out though as I had not checked beforehand.

Check clause "18" for clarity as I may be misinterpreting it due to me ordering one Sort of wishful thinking ;)

https://www.innovativedeals.co.uk/store-policies

Edit:- Scrub that, it is being sold as "Used - Like New" I just read the " It is brand new device, just missing retail packaging."
Personally I still think it is a bargain but I deeply apologise if I have mis-lead anyone it was a genuine mistake on my part.

Last edited:
You will probably find a lot of inflated prices for IT equipment at the moment, I have been looking for an M2 SSD drive for a Gigabyte mobo upgrade but prices are still higher than 18 months ago and even worse when you look at graphic's cards, just shows how much we rely on the asian markets.

For info I tend to use Scan or Overclockers for most of my parts.

Edit:- Scrub that, it is being sold as "Used - Like New" I just read the " It is brand new device, just missing retail packaging."
Personally I still think it is a bargain but I deeply apologise if I have mis-lead anyone it was a genuine mistake on my part.

Price still sounds good to me. Just wanted to point out it wasn't directly from Amazon as "InnovativeDeals" whoever they are probably don't have a returns policy as good as Amazon themselves and manufacturers can sometimes require purchases be from specific "registered sellers" to come with the warranty. The discount more than reflects that though.

I've the older WD 2TB Passport Ultra (non SSD) , still running well as a back-up. Thanks for the heads up, good value.

Delivered about half hour ago and it really does seem fast.
I am transferring folders/files over to it and I think there is a bottleneck (speed wise) from the HDD not being fast enough to transfer things.
I have tried a couple of things for comparison and so far I am very pleased with it.
It is only a bit bigger than a credit card and absolutely silent, I am genuinely impressed so far.

Latest posts

Back