acrylic lacquer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louis

Reaction score
i am making some panel doors in beech wood and would like to finish them with acrylic lacquer.
i have never done this sort of work before and would like to use a brush as i have no spray gun.
can somebody tell me how to do this, the preparation, sanding and the finishing?
will the finish look acceptable in acrylic lacqer by brush?
i would be very grateful.

louis

I use Barfords Aquacote and apply it with a 4" paint pad, this creates less bubbles than a brush and no "brush" marks. I usually give 3 coats rubbing down between coats with 320g silicon carbide paper.

Jason

Where do you get your pads from?

Most of the places I have seen seem only to sell them as a set complete with paint tray, and I already have more than enough of those.

I use polycell ones from my local Focus, sometimes they have spare pads, other times only sets. They last a long time if washed out well.

Jason

I use the Homebase matt acrylic (seems to be the only large DIY place that does their own matt varnish) and apply it with the very fine Liberon Flat Lacquer brushes from Axminster (section 15.21 in the catalogue), rub down between coats with some 320g paper - Rob

Back