Acrylic Bath Repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardG

If at first you don’t succeed have a cup of tea.
Reaction score
During the fitting of our new bathroom we (notice the we*) have managed to drop a clamp into the new Carronite bath and put a dent/chip in the bottom, #£&@%.

I have contacted the supplier who has suggested a repair company who charges £185 for the first chip. I can’t speak with them at the moment but wanted to explore some other options.

Has anyone tried the diy chip repair kits, for instance toolstation sells a Cramer kit for £30 which seems to include a pot of filler and a can of spray paint, rather than a colour matched filler.

Thanks

Richard

* I had a spreader clamp holding up a wall board whilst the glue dried, had to extend it with a length of 4x2 so I got the wife to help as I needed 3 hands. We both ended up holding the 4x2 and no one holding the clamp when I took it down!

How deep is the chip? Depending on the thickness of acrylic which can be judged by looking on the underside of the rim of the bath it might be possible to polish the chip out, Carronite are usually quite thick.

My only experience of firms who mend chips in baths is my brother having bought a brand new house discovered a chip in his bath the building company paid for a firm to repair it but it didn’t last, so I’d want to know what length of guarantee I was getting before paying that sort of money.

I’ve used the Cramer kit on a ceramic WC bowl. It’s lasted well and looks okayish but possibly not as good as a pro repair. If it’s a question of £30 vs £180 it might be worth giving it a go, though whether it works as well on acrylic I can’t say

Back