Accurate Tape Measures

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 3.5 metre stanley powerlock (33-215), which I found in the gutter several years ago*. I've damaged one tape and replaced it (in the same case), because I find the size and operation very comfortable and familiar, I do that same again, the case is metal and so much nicer than the flimsy plastic cases on many tapes.

I agree that anything bigger is unwieldy for everyday use - mine is on my belt all day at work, and never gets in the way.

*I found it whilst walking home, to get the spare keys for my work van, having locked my keys in the van on a customers door step.

I'm a locksmith. :(

It was a small source of cheer on a Cumquats day!

I favor the FatMax Chrome. Excellent wide blade with armer over the fist 6". Very robust to. Dropped it from heights many of times and its still fine.

Like everyone is saying, use only the one tape measure and eveything will work out fine. If some daft git askes you for something at 300mm measured with his 99p wilko's tape measure its there fault.

Hudson Carpentry":2mt72wr4 said:
If some daft git askes you for something at 300mm measured with his 99p wilko's tape measure its there fault.

Not if what you give said git is 302 or 298 etc. What he measures it with is irrelevant, it's what he then asks for that you have to provide.

You need a rod... :whistle:

I really like Axminster's tape measures. But I'm never looking for high accuracy from a tape measure.

studders":2k5z50ae said:
Yebbut, he's never around when you need him.

You can usuallly find him 'playing' with Jane and Freddie. :wink:

The fatmax chrome is a bit on the bulky side for what I need it for. Want something that'll be small enough to not get in the way whilst in the workshop, basically just for measuring spaces, planks, stuff that doesn't require the accuracy of a cabinet maker

I'm here - did someone call?? :D

I use 6", 12" and a 1m steel rule for accuracy.
For tapes I have several Lufkins 3m and 5m and a Swedish one that does internal and external measurement - but that one can be confusing?
For really big stuff I use a Rabone Chesterman steel 30m tape and a 100m Invar Steel tape! :)

Rod

So what do you do when you need to accurately measure something over 100m? :-k

Ive been using these for the last few years they fit nicely in the hand, are compact but still have a wide blade. I bought one a few years back thought they were great but could not find any more anywhere then while in D & M's spotted them on the counter a couple of years back so bought a couple. Just coming up time to get some more. http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... /STA033553 EDIT when I looked in the shop yesterday these are not the same as the ones I use they have a narrower blade .

Gary asked

So what do you do when you need to accurately measure something over 100m?

Geodimeter : And.the.range.using.a.single. prism.is.5,500.m.(18,040.ft).with.an.accuracy.. of.±(3.mm.+3.ppm) :lol:
But I would have to borrow one of them!

Rod

studders":3mb9tlpo said:
Hudson Carpentry":3mb9tlpo said:
If some daft git askes you for something at 300mm measured with his 99p wilko's tape measure its there fault.

Not if what you give said git is 302 or 298 etc. What he measures it with is irrelevant, it's what he then asks for that you have to provide.

The you take your £20+ measure to his and show him, explain that his measure is worth 99p and yours £20+ which do you think is more like to be correct....

Then you leave with your tail in between your legs when his 99p turns out to be right :lol:

I go through tape measures quickly. Can't really say which was the best but I normally go for a 5 metre Stanley as it is the best compromise for many tasks.

I also use the little Blue Bosch laser measure and it is very, very accurate and good in awkward small spaces and for long distance. Highly recommended for all site work and finer work where you don't need sub 1mm tolerences.

Steve.

Back