Absolute beginner seeks advice!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keefaz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, all,

I've recently got interested in woodwork and am slowly acquiring the basic skills. My dream is to one day make a nice box but that's a long way off at the moment while I still learn how to use my tools! However, as a start I've been carving small figures out of blanks normally used to for turning pens etc. I've been using some small chisels and a nice carving knife I got from Axminster.

Now that I've finished a few off, I'm looking for a simple finish that will help bring out the different colours and textures of the different woods in the figures. I was thinking some kind of wax? But I really have no idea. Does anyone have any suggestions?

alienpeople17hr.jpg

Thanks!

Keith.

Hi Keith and welcome to the fourm!

I am in no way an expert finisher and one will be along shortly. But I have used clear Liberon Black Bison wax on an oak box I made and absolutely love it. Easy to apply, not too smelly, and really brought out the wood and gave it a deep satin lustre. You just need a cotton wash-up cloth to apply it.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/2/product-Liberon-Black-Bison-Fine-Paste-Wax-21582.htm

P.S. Very nice figures by the way, wish I could carve like that - or at all :?

Chad.

Keef, or Keith :lol:

My missus uses liberon wax on her carvings and a soft brush to ensure it gets into all the corners.

Welcome to the form by the way.

Andy

A good all round finish would be shellac. Try and get a 'white' or 'pale' type. These have the least amount of impurities and dry the clearest of all the shellacs. They change the colour of wood the least.

Avoid, if you can, button polishes or other darker shellacs such as amber polish. Shellac is not the most durable film polish-- it will not resist alcohol spilt on it, and it will eventually give out if it's wet (with water) for sustained periods.

Still, it will put a nice shine on the work and give reasonable protection. Application can be with a brush, rag, or spray gun. It dries very quickly and you may mess up application the first few times. That's not a problem because it can be stripped easily with alcohol and you can start again-- one version of alcohol readily available is meths from almost anywhere.

Later, when you've been working wood a bit more, and therefore more experienced, you might want to look at more durable finishes such as varnish--oil or water based, lacquers, and so on. But for now to get you going and to keep your work clean, shellac is a good start. Incidentally, shellac is often sold as 'french polish' if you have trouble finding the stuff on the shelf. Slainte.

Keith, Welcome to the forum, if you go with shellac you may want to do a final fine grit (240-320) sand after the first coat to smooth any lifted fibres.

You may also wish to try using a cellulose sanding sealer especially if the wood is a softer variety and then apply your wax. (shellac will do similar job but sanding sealer imparts no colour of its own)

After you get more experienced with finishing and need a high gloss finish you might like to try using a Melamine Lacquer, (available in a easy to apply spray can from Chestnuts) this is applied after cellulose sanding sealer and dries to a gloss finish that is water resistant and much tougher after it has cured for a few days. (initially dries within a minute or so) Ideal for something that is likely to be handled a lot.
(can be matted down to with fine wire wool if required but not easily in nooks and crannies)

Latest posts

Back