Abranet leaving Terrible Swirlmarks?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sitefive

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently switched to mirka sander/abranet discs and it seem to leave terrible micro swirlmarks all over anything I sand, The Time/effort I save from using this new system VS regular sanding pads I have to spend again to polish out those marks , I used to get some swirlmark here and there when using regular sanding pads but nothing terrible and they were pretty rare but with these abranet things the surface is left all in swirlmarks...
Anyone have experienced the same?

The BIL uses Abranet a hell of lot at the bodyshop without problems and that's one place that this kind of issue won't be accepted.
However when a ROS was on it's way out it left swirl marks and that was with a normal paper disc, it was sanding less randomly (bearing failure).
I've used it loads on wood and I've never noticed this issue.

RobinBHM":1cb5yhjq said:
Ive not noticed that problem.

What sander are you using and which grits?

Deros , 60-100-180 usually

Got it connected to decent dust extractor ,have absolutely no dust in air or anywhere else.
Would really like to hope that the sander isn't on its way out ,bought it used , although I can feel that it gets a bit warmer after sanding with it after some 30minutes.

sitefive":ujfz4yfm said:
RobinBHM":ujfz4yfm said:
Ive not noticed that problem.

What sander are you using and which grits?

Deros , 60-100-180 usually

Got it connected to decent dust extractor ,have absolutely no dust in air or anywhere else.
Would really like to hope that the sander isn't on its way out ,bought it used , although I can feel that it gets a bit warmer after sanding with it after some 30minutes.

Sounds like a bearing problem

Could be that you're skipping grits on your sanding discs. If you have to start at 60G, try going 60, 80, 100, 120, 180 and see if that makes any difference.

The usual grit steps would be :- 80, 100 or 120, then 180, 240, 320, 400, 600 etc.

Hope this helps,
Dave.

ardenwoodcraft":2pwbzd3f said:
Could be that you're skipping grits on your sanding discs. If you have to start at 60G, try going 60, 80, 100, 120, 180 and see if that makes any difference.

The usual grit steps would be :- 80, 100 or 120, then 180, 240, 320, 400, 600 etc.

Hope this helps,
Dave.
I agree with the man above, My mate Sprayshop Phil says never jump more than 40 grit at a time, and he is Sikkens
trained etc etc and an instructor teacher!
I did have a 3M book that verify's this too.
Rodders

I have never had any problem also and it does sound like heavy pressure. Unless you are trying to take off a lot, 60-100-180 is still too harsh. Can you not get finer grits for your sander and try and run with the grain more?

Malcolm

It sounds like user error. Abranet should give you a flawless finish if you go up through the grits as advised above.

I have the Metabo ROS and use Abranet almost exclusively except for normal sanding disks 60g and 80g on rough wood
I also use it on corian and Mistral kitchen worktops up to 600g and get a flawless finish. Good dust extraction and work through the grits is essential.
Problem is with your sander not oscillating correctly, dust extraction not good enough, contaminated disks or operator error imo.

cheers
Bob

This post brings to mind that old Latvian saying: a bad workman always (Ad nauseam) blames his tools

Do you folks ever get any problems with the hook media getting damaged due to hooks protruding through the Abranet.

I don't on flatwork but find it is very prone to this problem if I attempt to use in the harsher more localised pressure spot application of lathe power sanding, (fine for hand use.)

My first thought when seeing this thread was that maybe too much pressure was being applied and the hooks were scratching rather than the Abranet cutting.

something damaged the hooks on my sander, after a period of using abranet. I didnt think whether it was the hooks poking through, but I do have a new pad to fit to it at some point.

marcros":23khnhcn said:
something damaged the hooks on my sander, after a period of using abranet. I didnt think whether it was the hooks poking through, but I do have a new pad to fit to it at some point.

I think that's the idea of the pad saver you can get or sometimes find included with the abranet discs (if it's discs you're talking about). To stop the heat build-up I read once, no idea if that's true.

Wuffles":216pk8zx said:
marcros":216pk8zx said:

I think that's the idea of the pad saver you can get or sometimes find included with the abranet discs (if it's discs you're talking about). To stop the heat build-up I read once, no idea if that's true.

I did get a pad saver this time too. If nothing else it is quicker and cheaper to replace than the pad itself.

Ok this is weird but I did a direct comparison today with these ''super-duper-extra-special'' abranet discs that doesn't really lasts that much longer to me than normal discs before they start to tear and you can only do straight surfaces with them, no way you can do tight bends or ornaments with them as they get teared apart.

so did a comparison with the same grit abranet VS regular cheapo Pads I have been buying off toolstation for long time before under a very bright flashlight so I could see any imperfections that show up and let me tell you the abranet left about 5-10x more blemishes/swirls/pig tails than the standard cheapo pads!!! So I do not believe there is any fault with my sander or the technique or anything else but the abranet pads itself, you can only see the swirls/pigtails under very bright light or when you are finishing the piece and applying certain finish ( such as oil) only than they show up which is totally not acceptable.

So the question is are the abranet discs just a total Flop and marketing ''success'' or I have bought some fake ones?
I bought assortment set from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirka-abranet ... SwRLZT1Tnr

one think with abranet is that they are more aggressive than standard sandpaper. so comparing 240G vs 240G may not be as like for like as you imagine. The swirl marks that you are getting in the comparison may simply be because you are using a coarser grit on the abranet than the equivalent sandpaper.

Back