A Table & Chairs made from HMS Victory

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motownmartin

Established Member
Reaction score
Did anybody see 'Flog It' this Afternoon.

They visited a furniture maker in Norfolk who was commissioned to make a Dining Room Suite with Oak salvaged from HMS Victory.

The Table top was made from pieces of wood set in resin, similar to Devonwoody's box, some of the wood still had some original paint and even some blood from the battles, or so the maker claims, the legs were curved to look like the underside of the ship, the cost of the Table was £9,500

The chairs were very elaborate, very difficult to describe in words, the Chairs were about 6 feet tall with ropes used on the backs to assimilate the rigging of the Ship, the cost of a Chair was about £6,000.

The whole suite cost about £48,000 more money than it took to build HMS Victory, all in all a fantastic piece of furniture.

Martin

Yes. SWMBO and I were really impressed with the design and workmanship but don't think we could actually live with it. We also liked the legs turned to look like cannons as well as the wedge fixing mechanism.

Until I retired last year I used to work in the dockyard just a couple of hundred yards from HMS Victory. Just outside my office there was secure storage area with lots of very nice looking oak and other bits used for the never ending maintenance of the ship. I must admit that I had never thought about how the old ship's fabric was disposed of.

MisterFish

I missed the programme :cry:

But it amuses me when they say it was made from oak from the Victory, it's a bit like saying my sweeping brush is 200 years old, it's had 10 new heads and only 5 new handles. :lol:

If you add up all the "bits of the victory" scattered thoughtout the country it makes you wonder exactly what is moored down in Portsmouth :shock:

lurker":362gzidf said:
If you add up all the "bits of the victory" scattered thoughtout the country it makes you wonder exactly what is moored down in Portsmouth :shock:
The ship is pretty much a complete 'makeover' with nothing genuine apart from the decks, everything else has been replaced at some point....even the masts are steel tubes :shock:.....still impressive tho' :wink: - Rob

Rob,

That brass plate that says "Nelson fell here" is still a trip hazard after all these years :lol: :roll:

misterfish":pz9v9ee5 said:
Anyway, you can have a look at the craftsman's website http://www.johnbarnard.co.uk/John%20Bar ... ctory.html and see what it is all about.
Got as far as "The Prologue" (cue Frankie Howerd) and read

avant-garde objet d'art futuristic eclectic individual

apparently written in cold blood? I mean first and foremost this character does know which nationality Nelson died fighting, right? #-o Secondly, if this is what it's all about then pass me the bucket and call me a Jacobite... :roll: :lol: Sorry, the furniture may be splendid, but this is just SO silly...

Cheers, Alf

mahking51":3p4v05zy said:
What I've always wanted to know is exactly how did they know that Nelson died at five past six? (1805).....
Martin

Perhaps someone looked at their watch......

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Alf":bq2ug5ri said:
Sorry, the furniture may be splendid, but this is just SO silly...

Cheers, Alf

Yes - isn't it just.

Mind you, the chap himself didn't seem so 'up his own ...' when he was on Flogit yesterday

Did you look at the 'arty' video of him sitting on one of the chairs on the beach - three minutes of 'higher education multimedia project' done by a third party. I suspect the whole website has been designed and put together by a web designer and programmer though I can't find any reference as such.

MisterFish

lurker":ax3nu2n5 said:
When we went to Burnham Thorpe, Lord Nelson's birthplace, the publican at The Lord Nelson pup, which sells lots of nick nacks, bottle stoppers etc made from "Victory Oak" has the answer to this. Apparantly during a refit in Victorian/Edwardian times they took 8.5 tons of oak either from the ship or that had been set aside for her. Therefore having been destined for HMS Victory it could be classed as Victory Oak :wink: . I also saw the program and was suitably impressed by the maker's talent.

keithhickson":676c2tl2 said:
Apparantly during a refit in Victorian/Edwardian times they took 8.5 tons of oak either from the ship or that had been set aside for her. Therefore having been destined for HMS Victory it could be classed as Victory Oak :wink: .

There must be some money in this idea :lol: I just stocked up on some wood to make a full size replica of the "Titanic" I've decided not to go ahead with the idea, does anyone want to buy some genuine "Titanic" decking :lol:

Latest posts

Back